Dr. Destler’s Green Vehicle Challenge
About the Challenge
Date: Saturday May 1, 2010
Time: Challenge begins at 9:00 AM
Course: Approximately 3 miles beginning at the Simone Circle, participants will take Andrew’s Memorial Drive to S-Lot and return to the Simone Circle.
- The challenge is open to RIT students, faculty, and staff (individuals or teams).
- Design and construct a vehicle that carries at least one >150 lb. person on an approximately 3 mile route along the RIT loop consuming less total energy per 150 lb. person than Dr. Destler’s electric bicycle.
- Any form of energy may be used, but the vehicle must be propelled by means other than human power.
- All entrants must provide a means of measuring total energy consumed and be able to defend the assumption inherent in that measurement.
- The event will take place rain or shine.
- The winning entrant will be the vehicle that completes the course with the lowest product of energy consumed and least amount of time (energy consumed X time).
- All entrants must present a poster display of their vehicle specifications and design elements at the Opening Ceremony of Imagine RIT (details to follow).
- Dr. Destler will announce the winner of the Challenge at the Opening Ceremony at 10:00 a.m.
- Teams are responsible for obtaining their own funding.
- Participants of two wheeled vehicles are required to wear a helmet.
- The race will begin with a staggered, standing start.
- Participants must obey all traffic signs and speed limits.
- Participants must stay in the right hand lane, but may pass a slower participants only if it does not impede oncoming traffic or participants.
The winner(s) will be offered one of two prize options: a banjo from Dr. Destler’s collection or $1,000 (divided among winning team). The cash prize is cosponsored by Student Government.
Registration has closed.
Email Heather Cottone if you have any questions.