Can't see the video above? Get the latest version of Adobe Flash player.
Dr. Destler’s Green Vehicle Challenge
As part of this year’s Imagine RIT: Innovation and Creativity Festival, President Destler challenges the RIT community to a Green Vehicle Challenge!
Date: Saturday May 2, 2009
Time: Challenge begins at 9:00 AM
Course: Approximately 3 miles beginning at the Simone Circle, participants will take Andrew’s Memorial Drive to S-Lot and return to the Simone Circle.
- The challenge is open to RIT students, faculty, and staff (individuals or teams).
- Design and construct a vehicle that carries at least one >150 lb. person on an approximately 3 mile route along the RIT loop consuming less total energy per 150 lb. person than Dr. Destler’s electric bicycle.
- Any form of energy may be used, but the vehicle must be propelled by means other than human power and must complete the course within 30 minutes.
- All entrants must provide a means of measuring total energy consumed and be able to defend the assumption inherent in that measurement. The use of wind or solar power does not count toward this total.
- The event will take place rain or shine.
- The winning entrant will be the vehicle that completes the course with the least expended energy.
- All entrants must present a poster display of their vehicle specifications and design elements at the Opening Ceremony of Imagine RIT (details to follow).
- Dr. Destler will reveal the total energy his electric bicycle consumed during the Challenge at the Opening Ceremony at 10:00 AM and also announce the winner of the Challenge.
The winner(s) will be offered one of two prize options: an antique 1890’s 5-string banjo from Dr. Destler’s collection valued at priceless or $1,000 (divided among winning team). The cash prize is cosponsored by Student Government.
Email Andrew Quagliata by Monday February 16, 2009 if you would like to enter the Green Vehicle Challenge.
Note: To turn on closed captions, simply click the CC button on the bottom right of the video player.