Most media streaming devices such as Apple TV, Roku and internet TV's do not support enterprise encryption. For these devices, students will have to acquire the MAC address and register the device on start.rit.edu and connect to the wireless network "rit". Students can stop by our office with the device for assistance finding the MAC Address.
How to Connect
- Connect your device to the wireless network "rit"
- Find the MAC address for your device (You may have to look online to find this information as the location varies on different devices)
- Preform a Manual Registration on start.rit.edu
- Restart your device and reconnect to the wireless network "rit"
Issues with Google's Chromecast
Google's Chromecast will not work on the RIT network due to the configuration must be preformed on a different device on the same subnet as the Chromecast device. RIT's wireless subnets are virutalized regardless of which access point you are connected to.
In order to connect an Apple TV it must be connected to the unsecured "rit" wireless network after being registered on our website. This is due to the Apple TV's inability to negotiate the wpa2 encryption on our secure network.
To connect the Apple TV:
- Go to "Settings"
- Go to "General"
- Go to "Network"
- The MAC address for the wireless will be next to 'Wi-Fi Address" and for the Ethernet it will be next to "Ethernet Address."
- Use the MAC address from Step 4 to complete a Manual Registration on start.rit.edu
Streaming Content from Another Device
Students can setup a local network using a wired router (Wireless must be disabled) to stream content from a computer.