This tutorial will walk you through every step of connecting to RIT's secure network on Windows 7.
- First, click on the Windows Icon located at the bottom left of your screen. Click on Control Panel.
- Depending on your Control Panel view type, click Network and Internet. If you do not see this option, go to step #3.
- Click Network and Sharing Center.
Alternatively, to carry out these three steps, you may right-click on the connection icon in your System Tray (by the clock on the right hand side titled Internet Access, then click on Network and Sharing Center).
- Click Manage Wireless Networks.
- If you have a network named "RIT" in the list of networks, click on it and choose "Remove" from the menu above the list of networks. You should also remove the "RIT-Legacy" and "RIT-Guest" networks if they are listed.
- Click "Add" from the blue menu above the list.
- Click "Manually create a network profile."
- Enter "RIT" for the network name, and choose "WPA2 - Enterprise" for the security type. Leave everything else alone. Click the "Next" on the bottom right of the page.
- Click "Change connection settings."
- In the window that comes up, click "Security" tab.
- Click "Settings" near the middle of the window, (on the right hand side).
- Check the box for "Connect to these servers:" and type "radius.rit.edu" in the text box below. Check the box below that for "Entrust.net Secure Server Certificate Authority", then click on the "Configure" button below.
- In the window that pops up, uncheck the box, then click "OK."
- Click "OK" on the Protected EAP Properties window.
- Click on "Advanced Settings" at the bottom of the RIT Wireless Network Properties window.
- Check the box for "Specify authentication mode," then choose "User authentication" from the drop-down box, and click "Save Credentials" next to it.
- Enter your username and password into the window that pops up, then click "OK."
When your RIT Password expires, you may have to remove the wireless profile, re-add, and re-enter your RIT username and updated password.
- Click "OK" on the Advanced Settings window.
- Click "OK" at the bottom of the RIT Wireless Network Properties window.
- Click on "Close" at the bottom of the RIT Wireless Network Properties window.
- On the task bar, you will be prompted to connect. Click the ballon pop-up to confirm security settings.
- You will be prompted to accept the Windows Security Alert. Click Connect. You may be prompted multiple times, continue to click connect.
(This window allows your computer to store the RIT security certificate to ensure your connection will be secured.)
Need Additional Help?
Feel free to contact us for advanced troubleshooting or stop by our office for assistance.