This guide will step you through the basic installation and setup for Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.5. If your PC is configured differently, your screens may differ. Spybot Search & Destroy offers a number of options for scanning and removal of spyware. This guide addresses the basics of setting up and scanning your system. See the tutorial that accompanies the program for more information
Time to complete: 30-45 minutes
How to prepare:
- Spybot suggests that you remove other anti-spyware applications. You may leave them on if desired, but note that anti-spyware software may mis-identify Spybot as spyware.
- Confirm that you have at least 12 megabytes of hard disk space on your PC. Right click on the local disk (C: drive) icon, choose properties, and note the free space in the resulting dialog box.
- Read the "fine print" on any file-sharing software that you may have on your system. Some popular software (such as Kazaa, Morpheus, etc) bundles its file sharing software with spyware and will not run without it. When you remove the spyware, your filesharing software may break.
- Whether you are on the RIT network or off-campus, you can download Spybot Search & Destroy for Microsoft Windows
- Enter your RIT Computer Account information when prompted and click 'OK'
- Click 'Save'
- Select a location on your computer where you would like to save the file and then click "Save" again.
- Wait while the application is downloaded. The dialog box may close when the download is complete. If it does not, click the "X" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Browse to the location on your computer where you've saved the file and double-click it.
- Select a language and click OK.
- The "Setup" dialog box will appear. Click Next.
- Read the agreement and select the radio button for "I accept the agreement".Click Next.
- Select the program's default location. Click Next.
- On the "Select Components" dialog window, uncheck all the checkboxes except for "Main Files" and "Separate Secure Shredder application". Click Next.
- On the "Select Start Menu Folder" dialog screen, keep the defaults and click Next.
- On the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog window, uncheck "Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)". Please review the "Recommendations" below regarding SDHelper and TeaTimer. Click Next.
Recommendation for protection settings: By default, ITS recommends that SDHelper protection is selected. TeaTimer is not suggested for older systems with less than 512 MB of RAM.
If you have 512 megabytes of RAM or more, you may consider using Tea Timer protection. The Tea Timer setting is best for experienced PC users who want to exercise more control over changes made to their system. It requires 5 megabytes of system resources and results in considerably more pop-up warnings that need to be evaluated. The messages may not be easy for a casual PC user to interpret.
- On the "Ready to Install" dialog window, click Install.
- You may be asked to reboot, click "Yes" and then click Finish.
In this section you will be provided with information on Spybot and asked to make basic setup choices.
- You may receive a message that warns you that disabling spyware may disable some programs that you intentionally downloaded, such as Kazaa or Limewire. These programs require you to keep the spyware in order to use their programs.
Note: Ad-Aware users, you will get a warning message here if you have Ad-Aware installed. Read it and continue.
- A dialog window for "Legal stuff" information will appear, click OK.
- It is not necessary to create a backup of the registry but may be useful. Click "Create registry backup" to perform a backup of your registry. When complete, click Next.
- Click "Search for updates".
- Select a location to retrieve updates from and press "Continue..". "BN FileForum (Global)" is generally one of the better sites to use.
- Right-click and choose "Select All". Click "Download". When the updates are installed, click OK then press "Exit".
- You will be returned to the dialog window in step 4, click Next.
- Click on "Immunize this system". The SpyBot program will switch to the Immunize screen.
- Click "+Immunize". When done, return to the dialog from step 8.
- Click Next
- Select "Start using the program"
You are now ready to use Spybot. The next section describes how to scan your system for spyware.
You should now see the program screen. If not, launch Spybot from the Start menu (it should be under Programs, then Spybot Search & Destroy).
- Click "Check for Problems"
- The system will run a bot-check. As spyware is found, it will be added to the problem list.
- After the check is completed, you will be presented with a list of problems. To remove them, select "Fix selected problems".
Note: You can run a manual bot-check at any time by launching the software application and using these instructions. Before you run a bot-check, make sure to run update so that new spyware is captured in the system scan.
Below is additional information on Spybot options and features.
There may be cases where you want to review the problems before removal. Spybot tries to assist you in evaluating problems by color-coding your results:
- Red entries are probably spyware. These are selected for removal by default.
- Black entries are system internals - keep them unless you know what they are and what they do
- Green entries are usage tracks and can be useful/convenient as they "remember" your activities and can (allow you to return to Web pages without typing in the URL). However, spyware can use this info, and it can do no harm to remove it.
You can get more information on a problem by highlighting the problem and clicking the bar in the middle of the screen.
You can also set up scheduled scans:
- From the main screen, select Mode and go to "Advanced mode".
- Select "Settings" from the side menu.
- Select "Scheduler".
- Select "Add".
- Select "Edit".
- Select the "Schedule" tab.
- Select "New"
- The system will display default settings of daily at 9:00am. Adjust the settings as needed and press OK.