Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Site-wide links


Advising with a Personal Touch in Computer Engineering

The Department of Computer Engineering recognizes the importance of providing a variety of advising and support services designed to ensure your academic success. Upon entrance to our program, you will be assigned an academic adviser. Over the course of your academic career at RIT, you may seek academic, career, and personal advice from several faculty and staff members. If you have any question about advising in Computer Engineering, please do not hesitate to reach the Computer Engineering Office.

See your advisor to help you plan your schedule! It is extremely important that you stay on track as we convert to the semester system.  Tiger Tracks has been turned off and is no longer kept up to date.  You can get a copy of your student check-list from the CE office.  You may also click on the Course History Tab on the Advisee Student Center to review your course work. Please consult the Computer Engineering Academic page for details on the BS, BS/MS and MS curricula.

Guidelines for Electives and Minors:

Professional Electives can be 300 level or higher courses from programs that match the students's professional career needs. Aside from Computer Engineering courses, students typically take professional electives from Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computing Security, and other KGCOE degree programs. The content covered in a professional elective must not have more than marginal overlap with any other course in the student's program of study. Students should discuss potential electives with his/her advisor, and obtain approval from the department especially if the course is outside of typical degree programs listed above or if the course seems to have overlaps with other required coursesBS/MS Students transitioning to semesters should take a graduate level course for their Professional Elective.

BS Professional Electives: Visit this link for a list of our commonly accepted undergraduate electives.  (See your faculty advisor for approval if you wish to take any courses outside of those listed towards your Professional Elective requirements)

Graduate Electives are 600 level or higher courses that are in the area related to the student's thesis research and should be approved by the student’s thesis or academic advisor. A subset of recommended Graduate Electives can be found in the Computer Engineering MS Curriculum .

Free Electives cannot consist of foundation material for any courses already completed. However, one can request approval for courses taken before advanced material is covered.  One or two credit hour courses may be added together to count towards the total required credit hours of Free Elective. Students in the Software option should use SWEN-262 Engineering of Software Subsystems.

Math/Science elective can only be Biology, Chemistry or an upper level Math or Physics beyond what is required by the Computer Engineering curriculum.  University Astronomy is acceptable (not Stellar Astronomy).

Minors:  Students must complete at least 9 semester credit hours (three courses) of their minor coursework outside of what is required by the Computer Engineering program. Please consult with the program you are interested in obtaining a minor for detailed requirements.

General Education Requirements:  Students may consult RIT General Education page for requirements and course listings.

Guidelines for Cooperative Education:

Going on Co op?  Report it on the Computer Engineering Web Site and on Job Zone.  Please visit the Computer Engineering Co-op page for details.

  • You must complete Co-op Seminar (EGEN-099) as well as meet the enrollment requirements for CMPE-499 before going on your first official co-op.

  • You will not get credit for your Co-op until student and employer evaluations are submitted for each and every term you work.

  • Please consult with your faculty advisor before you commit to a co-op that is not obtained through the Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services web site, or falls outside the normal summer or summer/semester time frame.

  • You must register yourself on SIS for CMPE-499-01 each term you are on work block and report your co-op on the Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services web site.

  • It is important that you adhere to your assigned work term.

Guidelines for Thesis Research:

In addition to graduate course work, Computer Engineering BS/MS and MS students are expected to complete thesis research as part of their MS degree requirement. The following indicates how a student may progress through the topic research and completion of thesis.

  • Thesis Topic Exploration
    • CMPE-795 Computer Engineering Graduate Seminar – Waiver Form may be obtained from the CE office or through Computer Engineering Forms.
    • Start in 4th year for BS/MS and 1st year for MS
  • Thesis Proposal
    • Work with your thesis advisor and start early to investigate the subject
    • Take the thesis proposal class to finish the proposal in, e.g., fall of 5th year for BS/MS and fall of 2nd year for MS
  • Thesis Research and Defense
    • Overlaps with the first two phases
    • Complete thesis credits after thesis proposal class
    • Finish with thesis document, a paper draft and thesis defense

The Computer Engineering BS/MS students are expected to finish their thesis research by the end of their 6th year, at the latest. Students who anticipate a problem completing their thesis by end of spring of the 6th year may submit a letter-of-intent to illustrate the special circumstance that prevents them from finishing. Similarly, Computer Engineering MS students are expected to finish their thesis research by the end of their second year. For details, please visit the Computer Engineering Thesis Handbook.

Additional Links:

Students may further visit Undergraduate Bulletin and Graduate Bulletin for course listings. For semester conversion information based on Freshman entry date, please see the following Computer Engineering Transitional Quarter/Semester Flowcharts below. Additional information is also available via the RIT Semester Conversion page. Electronic forms are available by visiting Computer Engineering Forms.

Fall Quarter, 2011: Undergraduate BS in CE

Fall Quarter, 2011: BS/MS in CE

Fall Quarter, 2012: Undergraduate BS in CE

Fall Quarter, 2012: BS/MS in CE

Remember that we are here to help you. Please do not hesitate to come by the Computer Engineering office if have any questions that are not covered on this page.

  Rochester Institute of Technology
One Lomb Memorial Drive,
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
Copyright © Rochester Institute of Technology, All Rights Reserved. | Disclaimer | Copyright Infringement