Job and Career Opportunities
Statistician Job Outlook
The demand for statisticians is high and continues to grow significantly. The major driver of this growth is that our global society is becoming increasingly data-rich and data-dependent.
For instance, Peter Sondergaard, head of research at Gartner, one of the world’s leading information technology research and advisory companies, predicts that millions of statisticians and data analysts will be needed globally to manage Big Data–related projects. Big Data refers to large data sets that are collected from every imaginable source and analyzed by businesses to discover ways of creating new revenues. By 2015, predicts Sondergaard, the thirst for Big Data mining experts is expected to create 4.4 million jobs around the world; nearly half (1.9 million) of these new data analysis jobs will be in the United States alone.
Separately, a recent study by McKinsey Global Institute predicts that the United States will need vastly more professionals—between 140,000 and 190,000—with expertise in statistical methods by 2018.
And, there appears to be no apparent end to this growing need for statisticians, making it a solid and rewarding—both personally and financially—career choice for today’s secondary school and university students.
Job and Career Opportunities
There are many resources available to students and alumni of CQAS. Here are some suggestions of websites or contacts for professional development.
Full-time job resources (specific to math and statistics)
American Mathematical Society: Most postings are for PhD mathematicians/statisticians, but you can search “Business or Industry” under Employer Type to find jobs that may be applicable to those with a Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree http://www.ams.org/eims/eims-search.html
American Statistical Association: Statistics jobs http://www.amstat.org/jobweb/index.cfm
Call to Serve: Describes types of Federal government jobs; provides tips on how to find and apply for Federal jobs and internships; includes a Federal Internship Directory http://www.makingthedifference.org
DCJobs.com: Jobs in the Washington, DC area, including many related to intelligence analysis and defense http://www.dcjobs.com
International Association of Financial Engineers: Quantitative finance jobs http://iafe.org
JobCentral: Full-time and internship/co-op positions. Select “Browse Jobs by Occupation,” select “Computer & Mathematical,” under “Related Occupations” on the right-hand side choose from “Actuaries,” “Mathematicians,” “Operations Research Analysts,” Statisticians,” etc… (From here, you can search for co-op positions posted within your selected occupation area by using the keywords “intern” and “co-op”). http://www.jobcentral.com
Math-Jobs.com: Math and statistics job postings http://www.math-jobs.com
MathJobs.org: University/College faculty jobs http://www.mathjobs.org/jobs
Quant Finance Jobs.com: Quantitative finance jobs http://quantfinancejobs.com
QUANTster: Quantitative finance jobs http://www.quantster.com
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: List of companies and institutions that employ mathematicians and computational scientists for full-time and/or co-op positions http://www.siam.org/careers/internships.php
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: Math and statistics job postings http://jobs.siam.org/home/index.cfm?site_id=686
StatsCareers: Math and statistics job postings http://www.statscareers.com
StatsJobs: Receive weekly updates of Statistics Jobs http://www.statsjobs.com
Studentjobs.gov: Federal Government internship/co-op positions and full-time entry-level positions; math and statistics job postings http://www.usajobs.gov/studentjobs
USAJOBS: Federal Government jobs; math and statistics job postings http://www.usajobs.gov
U.S. Office of Personnel Management: Salary and benefit information for jobs within the Federal government http://www.opm.gov
Current Job Opportunities
Job Posted: July 16, 2014
Statistical Modeler / Statistician (Englwood Cliffs, NJ)
Statistical Modeler / Statistician needed for our firm. Lead development of predictive modeling and analytics projects using data mining techniques (including linear and logistic regression, neural networks, decision trees, etc.) Project and measure the effectiveness of modeling efforts and marketing actions such as targeting, prospecting; build predictive models and marketing analytics.
We are looking for a career-minded, bright, motivated individual to be part of our analytics team. Knowledge of the financial and insurance industry is a plus. Strong communication skills and confidence is a must.
. Experienced in SAS programming and data management
. Advanced knowledge of statistical methods. Multitask on numerous accounts/campaigns
. Strong communications skills with clients and co-workers
. Effective time management
. Organized and detailed
. Self-starter with problem solving skills
. Ambitious and strong work ethics
. Computer skills a must, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SAS
Job Description -
. Work with account teams in executing client data campaigns for analytics
. Build various Models
Company offers Annual Salary, Benefits & Paid Vacation
Resumes can be sent directly to Michael Young at email@example.com.
Razorsight's Cloud-based Predictive Analytics Software is used by the world's best known Communications & Media brands including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Comcast, Telus, Tata, Orange, CenturyLink, Windstream, IBM and Facebook.
About the role:
This job contributes to Razorsight’s success by developing coding to assist in creating, maintaining, and supporting the statistically based data preparation processes for our domestic and international Telecommunications clients. Our statisticians and econometricians will use these data processes to aid our clients in meeting their strategic and tactical business objectives.
The ideal candidate will be a quick learner who is self-motivated, and an innovative problem solver who thrives in a team environment. Experience is important, but equally valuable is the ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment to develop solutions that meet the company standards.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Create, maintain, and support coding related to data analysis and predictive modeling & statistical analysis efforts (data modeling, stored procedures, functions and query optimization).
• Additional responsibilities include creation of the technical and system specification documents necessary to support developed processes, and participation in development and execution of unit and system test plans.
• Actively uses and enhances existing data processes to improve performance.
• Assists in architecting and implementing key new features, improving the usability and scalability of the product.
• Communicates opportunities, efficiencies, and risks to management on a proactive basis.
Summary of Experience:
• Experience with advanced predictive modeling & statistical analysis tools such as SPSS (preferred) or R (5 years).
• Experience with Python (5 years).
• Experience with PL/SQL (5 years).
• Database skills: Experience working with different database and data warehouse environments – Netezza, SQL Server, Oracle (3+ years).
• Software development experience (cloud-based experience a plus)
• BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field.
• Experience in applied data analysis, particularly in applied predictive modeling and statistical analysis helpful.
• Experience in database analysis, development, and administration focused on building data warehousing and data mining applications helpful.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
• Attention to detail
• Proficient in MS Office
• Understanding of statistical and mathematical theory and principles helpful
• Understanding of predictive modeling or statistical tools
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to apply knowledge of business principles to achieve successful outcomes
• Knowledge of the telecommunications industry preferred
About Razorsight (Global HQ in Reston, VA)
Razorsight's Cloud-based Predictive Analytics Software is used by the world's best known Communications & Media brands including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Comcast, Telus, Tata, Orange, CenturyLink, Windstream, IBM and Facebook. Razorsight delivers predictive insights to proactively and precisely target customer acquisition, retention, operating margins and increase CLV. We assist in delivering analytics and insights to enable communications and media companies to deliver superior customer experiences. - See more at: http://www.razorsight.com.Lacey Kirstein IT Talent & Resources | SG2 Recruiting, LLC
There is an opening for a Statistician in the Applied Statistics Group at Eastman in Kingsport, TN. The Applied Statistics Group primarily works with R&D and Manufacturing. We typically hire MS Statisticians but are also considering a PhD for this requisition. I'm looking for someone strong in DOE, modeling, SPC, etc. Also, willing to consider those fresh out of school or with experience. You can apply online at www.eastman.com in the careers section. You can also contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applied Statistics Group
Eastman Chemical Company
Statistician Job Opportunity in Utah:
JOB TITLE: Operations Research Analyst
COMPANY: 4R Systems (Berwyn, PA) www.4rsystems.com
This position involves leveraging data mining and statistical modeling techniques to contribute in delivering exceptional results for the client in the areas of retail analytics and supply chain. Successful candidates will possess potential in conventional problem solving techniques while exhibiting a strong ability to think creatively. The position will be critical for immediately enhancing 4R’s ability to effectively execute the analytic side of the customer solution. Exceptional analytical skills are crucial to understanding and working with internal team resources. The ability to collaborate enthusiastically while contributing to personal and overall company success will be a determining factor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- ·Modeling, Statistics and Analytics - Personally performing tasks as required in client facing situations with urgent deadlines and requirements. Deep theoretical knowledge combined with business insight is crucial. Ability to analyze the client’s data and derive actionable recommendations based on mathematical modeling-based solutions.
- ·Problem Solving - Must possess the ability and desire to “get their hands dirty” when required. Personal attributes must include flexibility, creativity, enthusiasm and an instinctive yet practical ability to solve problems.
- ·Client Relationship Management Potential - Position will interface with client based analytical professionals. Must have an acute ability to balance respect for their knowledge and position, credibility enhancement for 4R’s capabilities, recognition of ongoing business opportunities, and intangible factors affecting the overall relationship.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE and EDUCATION:
The successful candidate will have strong quantitative ability to analyze business problems. Must have demonstrated ability or potential to:
- Perform data analyses using large datasets and conduct related research
- Create prototype models
- Apply statistical and judgmental tests
- Design cost-effective solution heuristics and procedures
- Verify and test the implementation
- Communicate methodology and results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Identify business elements that define a client’s problem by asking insightful questions
The role will involve leading efforts to define innovative analytic capabilities to enhance 4R’s retailing analytics software solution, requiring the candidate to have the will and skill to contribute to intellectual thought leadership. The candidate also needs to be willing to be proactive and identify and solve specific customers’ problems. The candidate must possess the highest integrity, be a self-starter, and work equally well in a team or independently.
- Advanced degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, or related field
- Comprehensive background in: mathematical modeling, stochastic processes, data mining and statistical data analysis, forecasting, optimization
- Genuine and passionate appreciation for probability and statistics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn SQL and R
- Sincere interest in applying mathematical concepts and methods to solving real-life business problems in the supply chain arena.
Contact: Stefano Alberti, Vice President of Analytics, email@example.com
The Center for Open Science, a non-profit organization based in Charlottesville, Virginia, which is dedicated to improving the alignment between scientific values and scientific practices is hiring for the position described below.
We are hiring for many positions; however, we are reaching out to you to find out if you know anyone (graduate students and postdocs in particular) who might be interested in our Statistical and Methodological Consultant position. We have two openings for this position.
For a little more on how we operate: we have a technology start-up mindset; the COS team moves quickly, identifies problems and creates solutions, encourages risk-taking, blends science and technology, and is collaborative, high energy, and dedicated to openness.
Here is a specific description of the job:
The Statistical and Methodological Consultants will provide active, hands-on consultation for reproducible best practices in data analysis and research design. This includes short-term visits to universities, departments, and laboratories; lectures and training at conferences; virtual consulting and training; and development and maintenance of education materials and practical guides for distribution. Consulting services will include open science, reproducibility practices, data analysis, and research methodology.The Statistical and Methodological Consultants will assist in forming and maintaining COS’s best practices for reproducible research, and collaborate with the whole COS team in making its infrastructure and products accessible, useful, and applicable to scientists across research disciplines.We are looking for individuals with substantial training and experience in scientific research, quantitative methods, and reproducible research practices. Extremely high social and communication skills, as well as some programming (at least R, ideally Python or Julia), web development, and data analysis are essential.
Anyone may apply via our website
Data Services Adjunct: Quantitative Data Analysis Specialist
New York University's (NYU) Data Services, a joint ITS and Library service, is seeking a part-time (20-25 hours per week) Quantitative Data Services Adjunct Specialist to provide quantitative research computing support to faculty, students, and staff at NYU.
Providing consultation on a walk-in and appointment basis, leading Data Services instructional tutorials, and preparing Data Services training documentation, with a primary focus on statistical software packages such as Stata, R, MATLAB, SAS and SPSS. Providing statistical programming support to academic researchers. Coordinating with other consultants in Data Services to provide support to academic researchers. Initiating and contributing to Data Services projects
Required Education: Bachelor's degree in one of the following fields: statistics, sociology, psychology, political science, economics or another field where in-depth knowledge of quantitative methods and tools is indicated.
Preferred Education: Master's degree in Statistics, Sociology, Economics, Psychology, Mathematics, Political Science or related quantitative-focused field.
- 1-3 years relevant experience or an equivalent combination
- 1-3 years of experience conducting quantitative academic research with at least two of the following statistical software packages: Stata, R, MATLAB, SAS and SPSS.
- Proficiency of commonly used statistical and data-oriented methods, including: data cleaning, t-tests, ANOVA, linear regression and generalized linear models.
- Excellent public service, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience teaching quantitative software packages and/or research methods
- Experience in an academic environment, preferably in IT and/or Libraries
- Familiarity with a variety of statistical methods, such as: factor analysis, panel data analysis, categorical data analysis, nonparametric techniques, multi-level modeling, structural equation modeling and classification methods
- Knowledge of computer science concepts including data structures and algorithms; experience programming with a high-level language like Python, Julia or C++
- Basic understanding of geographic information systems (GIS), qualitative data analysis and survey research methods
- Experience submitting batch jobs on high performance computing systems
About New York University Libraries: Library facilities at New York University serve the school’s 40,000 students and faculty and contain more than 4 million volumes. New York University is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Research Libraries Group, the Digital Library Federation; serves as the administrative headquarters of the Research Library Association of South Manhattan, a consortium that includes three academic institutions.
To Apply: Please email a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services
The RIT Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services is driven by a simple mission: to provide effective, high-quality services to RIT students and alumni, empowering and supporting them in the achievement of their experiential learning, career and employment goals. The Office is committed to outstanding customer service, effective use of state-of-the-art technology and the creative and effective use of human and fiscal resources.
Information just for our students and alumni can be found through the main student/alumni page. Building and maintaining relationships with employers is a critical part of our success. Information for employers can be found on our employer portal page.