Dr. Satish Kandlikar is the Gleason Professor of Mechanical Engineering at RIT. He received his B.S in Mechanical Engineering from Marathawada University, India, his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay and has been a faculty there before coming to RIT in 1980. His research is mainly focused in the area of flow boiling. After investigating the flow boiling phenomena from an empirical standpoint, which resulted in widely accepted correlations for different geometries, he started to look at the problem from a fundamental perspective. Using the high speed photography techniques, he demonstrated that small bubbles are released at a high frequency under flow conditions.
Dr. Kandlikar’s current work involves developing ultra-high performance pool and flow boiling heat transfer surfaces, stabilizing flow boiling in microchannels, interface mechanics during rapid evaporation, and advanced chip cooling with single-phase liquid flow. He has published over 200 journal and conference papers. He is a fellow member of ASME and has been the organizer of the two international conferences on Microchannels and Minichannels sponsored by ASME. Dr. Kandlikar founded the ASME Heat Transfer chapter in Rochester and founded and served as the first Chairman of the E-cubed fair – science and engineering fair for middle school students in celebration of the Engineers Week. He is the recipient of numerous awards including the Eisenhart Award for Outstanding and Trustees Scholarship Award - both from RIT, Engineer of the Year Award from Rochester Engineering Society, and Heat Transfer Memorial Award from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
For more about Dr. Kandlikar see his website.
Select Recent Publications
· Yao, Zhonghua; Lu, Yen-Wen; Kandlikar, Satish G., Fabrication of nanowires on orthogonal surfaces of microchannels and their effect on pool boiling, JOURNAL OF MICROMECHANICS AND MICROENGINEERING Volume: 22 Issue: 11 Article Number: 115005 DOI: 10.1088/0960-1317/22/11/115005 Published: NOV 2012.
· Grimm, Michael; See, Evan J.; Kandlikar, Satish G., Modeling gas flow in PEMFC channels: Part I - Flow pattern transitions and pressure drop in a simulated ex situ channel with uniform water injection through the GDL, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY Volume: 37 Issue: 17 Pages: 12489-12503 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.06.001 Published: SEP 2012.
· Rubio-Jimenez, Carlos A.; Kandlikar, Satish G.; Hernandez-Guerrero, Abel, Numerical Analysis of Novel Micro Pin Fin Heat Sink With Variable Fin Density, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON COMPONENTS PACKAGING AND MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY Volume: 2 Issue: 5 Pages: 825-833 DOI: 10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2189925 Published: MAY 2012.
· Lin, Ting-Yu; Kandlikar, Satish G., A Theoretical Model for Axial Heat Conduction Effects During Single-Phase Flow in Microchannels, JOURNAL OF HEAT TRANSFER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME Volume: 134 Issue: 2 Article Number: 020902 DOI: 10.1115/1.4004936 Published: FEB 2012
· Yao, Z.; Lu, Y. -W.; Kandlikar, S. G.Effects of nanowire height on pool boiling performance of water on silicon chips, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF THERMAL SCIENCES Volume: 50 Issue: 11 Pages: 2084-2090 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2011.06.009 Published: NOV 2011.
· Rath, Cody D.; Kandlikar, Satish G., Liquid filling in a corner with a fibrous wall-An application to two-phase flow in PEM fuel cell gas channels, COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS Volume: 384 Issue: 1-3 Pages: 653-660 DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2011.05.039 Published: JUL 5 2011.