Prior to joining RIT, Dr. Fokoué was a faculty member in the Mathematics Department at Kettering University in Flint, Michigan. Before that he was an Assistant Professor at Ohio State University (still a true Buckeye fan) and a Postdoctoral Research Fellow/Visiting Assistant Professor at the Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (SAMSI)/Duke University.
He obtained his Maitrise B.Sc. in Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Yaoundé, Cameroon, then travelled around the world for two years with yogi monks before returning home to teach for two years at the Catholic University of Central Africa.
Dr. Fokoué then obtained a British Government scholarship to study for his Masters of Science degree in Neural Computation at Aston University in Birmingham, after which he moved up north to the University of Glasgow where he earned his Ph.D. in Statistics under the supervision of Professor Mike Titterington.
Dr. Fokoué's main research interest is Statistical Machine Learning and Data Mining. He recently co-authored the book, “Principles and Theory for Data Mining and Machine Learning," published by Springer-Verlag, New York. He won the Best Young Researchers' Award from the International Association of Statistical Computing in August 2000 in Utretcht - Netherlands.
Dr. Fokoué was honored in September 2012 with the American Statistical Association leadership recognition award for his enthusiastic revival of the Rochester Chapter of the ASA.
Dr. Fokoué has published extensively in many international journals, and has served as Editor or Reviewer for many journals.
· Fokoué, E (2012). Beta Induced Sparsity Algorithm, Advances and Applications in Statistical Science, Vol. 7, Issue 7, pages 75-82, October 2012.
- Fokoué, E (2011). Stable Radial Basis Function Selection via Mixture Modelling of the Sample Path. Journal of Data Science, Vol 9, Issue 3, pp. 345-358, October 2011.
- Fokou´e, E and Sun, D. and Goel, P. (2011). Fully Bayesian Analysis of the Relevance Vector Machine With Extended Prior. Statistical Methodology. Vol 8, Pages 83-96, 2011.
- Fokoué, E and Goel, P. (2011). An Optimal Experimental Design Perspective on Radial Basis Function Regression, Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, Vol 40, Issue 6, Pages 1-12, 2011.
- Fokou´e, E and B. Clarke (2009). Bias Variance Trade-off for Prequential Model List Selection. Statistical Papers. http://www.springerlink.com/content/26837356w0143031/fulltext.pdf, 2009.
- Fokou´e, E (2009). Bayesian computation of the Intrinsic Structure of Factor Analytic Models. Journal of Data Science, Volume 7, Number 3, pp. 285-311, 2009.