Dr. Karuna Koppula received B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Andhra University, India, her M.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of New Hampshire, and her Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering at Michigan State University. Her Ph.D. research focused on the field of turbulent flow modeling. During her graduate studies, she worked as an intern at Bechtel National Inc. where she used CFD Simulations to understand multiphase flow in Pulse Jet Mixers. Her Master’s thesis research was on gas diffusion layers in PEM fuel cells.
Dr. Koppula joined RIT in 2009 as a visiting faculty in the Mechanical Engineering department and taught courses on problem solving with computers, fluid mechanics, materials science and numerical methods. She later joined the department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering in 2010 and since then taught various courses and laboratories for the undergraduate program. She currently teaches Continuum Mechanics I and II, Analytical techniques II, Chemical engineering insights, Chemical engineering principles and processes labs. She received Norman A. Miles Award for academic teaching excellence in 2012 (selected by the Norman A. Miles Award student recipient) and FEAD grant in 2013.
Following are her areas of research interests
- Particle manipulation by insulator based dielectrophoresis (iDEP).
- Microfluidics and Electrokinetics.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Turbulent Flows and Modeling
- Fuel Cells
- Gencoglu, A., Olney, D. N., LaLonde A., Koppula, K. S., Lapizco-Encinas, B.H., “Particle Manipulation In insulator based Dielectrophoretic Devices”, in press, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 2013. DOI: 10.1115/1.4025368
- Gencoglu, A., Olney, D. N., LaLonde A., Koppula, K. S., Lapizco-Encinas, B.H., “Dynamic microparticle manipulation with an electroosmotic flow gradient with low frequency alternating current dielectrophoresis”, accepted, Electrophoresis, 2013.
- Koppula, K. S., Muthu, S., Bénard, A., Petty, C. A., “The URAPS closure for the normalized Reynolds Stress”, Physica Scripta, Vol. 88, T155, 2013, DOI: 10.1088/0031-8949/2013/T155/014052.
- Koppula, K. S., Bénard, A., Petty, C. A., “Turbulent Energy Redistribution in Spanwise Rotating Channel Flows”, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2011, Vol. 50 (15), pg. 8905–8916.
- Koppula, K. S., Bénard, A., Petty, C. A., “Realizable Algebraic Reynolds Stress Closure”, Chemical Engineering Science, 2009, Vol 64 (22), Pages 4611-4624.