Dr. Ruben Proaño received a Ph.D. and a M.S. degrees in Industrial Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He also holds a B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador, and is United World Colleges (UWC) alumnus.
Dr. Proaño’s research focuses on the application of optimization models to the solution of problems affecting healthcare delivery, and the supply of pediatric vaccines. His work has been published in Healthcare Management Science, Vaccines, Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization, and Omega. Dr. Proaño enjoys teaching and interacting with students and actively introduces students to healthcare systems engineering problems. Dr. Proaño believes in the benefits of a multicultural education and he is convinced that Operations Research, "The Science of Better" (see http://www.scienceofbetter.org/), provides the tools to engineer decision-making and has an important role to play in international development.
- Dhamodharan A., Proano R.A., Determining the optimal vaccine vial size in developing countries: A Monte Carlo simulation approach, Healthcare Management Science (2012), doi:10.1007/s10729-012-9200-4, 15: 188-196.
- Proano R.A., Jacobson S.H., Zhang W., Making combination vaccines more accessible to low-income countries: The antigen bundle pricing problem, Omega, (2012) doi:10.1016/j.omega.2011.03.006, 40 (1):53-64.
- Proano R.A., Jacobson S.H., Jokela J., A multi-attribute approach for setting pediatric vaccines stockpiles, Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization, (2010) 6(4): 709-727.
- Using mathematical modeling to make combination vaccines more affordable and profitable, Phacilitate Vaccine Forum 2012, Washington D.C., January 2012.
- Invited panelists to the Institute of Medicine Committee on Identifying and Prioritizing New Preventive Vaccines for Development, National Academy of Engineering, Washington D.C., May 2011.
- Spreading the cure: Making combination vaccines more affordable to low-income countries, UNU Midday Forum Program, United Nations Head Quarters, NYC, US, October 2010.