Dr. Sohail A. Dianat received a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the Arya-Mehr University of Technology in Tehran, Iran and his M.S. and D.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the George Washington University. In September 1981, he joined the Rochester Institute of Technology, where he is currently a professor of Electrical Engineering and Imaging Science. Dr. Dianat has taught an assortment of undergraduate and graduate courses in the areas of digital signal/image processing and digital communication. Dr. Dianat received the "best unclassified paper award" at the 1993 Annual IEEE Military Communication Conference (MILCOM '93). His current research interests include digital signal/image processing and wireless communication.
He holds thirteen patents in the field of control for digital printing. He is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and a member of the IEEE Signal Processing & Communication Society. He is a Fellow of SPIE: The International Society for Optical Engineering. He has served as associate editor for the IEEE Transaction on Image Processing. Dr. Dianat was the organizer and co-chairman of the Fifth IEEE Signal Processing Society's Workshop on Spectrum Estimation and Modeling held in Rochester, New York in October 1990. He has served as a technical program committee member for ICIP 2003. Dr. Dianat has served as chair for the track on Wireless Sensing, Localization, and Processing at the SPIE Defense and Security Symposium conferences held in Orlando, Florida from 2000-2012. He has served as Finance Chair of ICIP2013. He is currently serving as a technical committee member on Industry DSP Technology. He has numerous publications and patents in the fields of signal/image processing and digital communications.
For more about Dr. Dianat see his website.
1. G. Tsouri, S. Kyal, S. Dianat, and L. K. Mestha, “Constrained-ICA Approach to Non-Obtrusive Pulse Rate Measurements”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, August 2012.
2. H. Peng, R. Rao, S. A. Dianat, “Optimized Vector Bilateral Filter for Multispectral Image Denoising”, 19th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Orlando, Florida, September 2012.
3. H. Peng, R. Rao, S. A. Dianat, “ Nonnegative Matrix Factorization with Deterministic Annealing for Unsupervised Unmixing of Hyperspectral Imagery”, 19th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Orlando, Florida, September 2012.
4. A. M. Almradi, and S. A. Dianat, “NDA SNR Estimation over MISO with STBC Channels for BPSK Modulated Signals using the EM Algorithm”, The 2nd International Conference on Communications and Information Technology (ICCIT): Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, Hammamet, Tunisia, June 2012.
5. A. M. Almradi, and S. A. Dianat, “'Cramer-Rao Lower Bounds of NDA SNR Estimation for BPSK Modulated Signals over MISO with STBC Channels”, The 2nd International Conference on Communications and Information Technology (ICCIT): Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, Hammamet, Tunisia, June 2012.
6. S. R. Vantaram, E. Saber, S. A. Dianat, Y. Hu and V. Abhyankar, “Semi-Automatic 3-D Segmentation of Computed Tomographic Imagery by Iterative Gradient-Driven Volume Growing”, 18th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Brussels, Belgium, September 2011.
Recently Issued Patents:
1. “Toner Concentration System with State Estimator and State Feedback.” U.S. patent no. 8,145,078. Year Granted: 2012.
2. “Accurate Content-based Indexing and Retrieval System.” U.S. patent no. 8,117,183. Year Granted: 2012.
3. “Reference Database and Method for Determining Spectra using Measurements from an LED Color Sensor, and Method of Generating a Reference Database.” U.S. patent no. 7,839,498. Year Granted: 2010.
1. Raghuveer Rao, and Sohail A Dianat, “Basics of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA)”, SPIE Press, September 2005.
2. Sohail A Dianat, and Eli Saber “Advanced Linear Algebra for Engineers with MATLAB”, CRC Press, January 2009.
3. Lalit K. Mestha, and Sohail A Dianat, “Control of Color Imaging Systems: Analysis and Design”, CRC Press, May 2009.