Nov. 12, 2008 by Susan Gawlowicz Follow Susan Gawlowicz on TwitterFollow RITNEWS on Twitter
Holiday S.O.S. (Support Our Service Men and Women) Project is a gift drive to collect items for service men and women stationed overseas.
More than 50 RIT community members currently serve in the armed forces, including parents, faculty, staff and students.
Donations of food, toiletries, books and games are requested and can be left in designated boxes located around campus. (See locations site listed below.)
Requested items include:
- Food items in small packages—such as Oreos and other cookies, Pringles potato chips, Doritos, Slim Jim beef jerky, Rice Krispy treats, canned pull-top fruit or soup, pudding cups, cheese and peanut butter crackers, individual packages of cereal, breakfast bards, Kool-Aid, Gatorade and tea with sugar, and individually wrapped candy
- Games—Word puzzles, cards, travel games, baseballs, Frisbees, magazines and paperback books
- Toiletries—Toilet paper, tissues, Avon Skin-So-Soft lotion or pump spray (non-aerosol), non-aerosol shaving cream, white tube socks, sports bras (34B, 36B), cotton underwear (sizes 5-7), bar soap, small containers of shampoo, body wash, facial creams, cocoa butter, unscented lotions, sunscreen, feminine hygiene products, lip balm and hand and body sanitizers.
Designated locations include:
- College of Applied Science and Technology, dean’s office
- College of Liberal Arts, student services office
- College of Science, dean’s office
- E. Philip Saunders College of Business, student services office
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Building, dean’s office
- Kate Gleason College of Engineering, students services office
- B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences, dean’s office
- College of Imaging Arts and Sciences, dean’s office
- Student Alumni Union, near the information desk
- Bausch and Lomb Center, main lobby
- Crossroads, alumni relations office
Donations will be accepted until Nov. 17. Volunteers are needed to help assemble care packages at from 1:30-4 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, at Crossroads, River Room. For more information, contact Terry Bohling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Names of any RIT faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents or children of those constituencies currently serving in the armed forces can be included in the care package mailing. Send contact information to Sue Rague at 475-2586 or email@example.com.