Housing, commercial complex gives RIT new look
Nov. 22, 2010
Follow RITNEWS on Twitter
Global Village, RIT’s residential and commercial complex replacing a portion of River Knoll Apartments, provides upper-class students a state-of-the-art global living experience and community.
In addition to suite-style housing with lounges, community kitchens, meeting spaces and laundry rooms, the complex, which officially opened Sept. 30, also features a number of services just a few feet away.
These services include the HUB Print Center and Post Office, Global Village Cantina and Grille, The Market at Global Village, Shear Global Hair Salon and Shop OneČ Arts & Gifts.
The complex also boasts a beach volleyball court and a mixed-use plaza offering year-round activities including heated outdoor seating, a small stage for concerts and student programming and a fire-pit area that transforms into an ice rink during the winter months.
By the numbers
- Cost: $57 million
- Project size: 182,271 gross square feet
- Number of residential beds: 414
- Retail space: About 24,000 square feet of commercial and retail space
- Academic areas: Study Abroad and Fellowships, Global Initiatives and Programs, Native American Future Stewards Program and the Entrepreneurial Center
- Commercial locations and other points of interest: Global Village Plaza; Shear Global Salon; Shop OneČ; The Market at Global Village; Cantina and Grille at Global Village includes Salsarita’s, Global Grille, Oishii Sushi; Better Me Wellness Center; HUB Print Center and Post Office. Coming soon is a sports outfitter.