Shining STARS: Multicultural Center for Academic Success recognizes campus leaders
Jim Watters named Partner of the Year, Beri Foy named Student Scholar of the Year
May 28, 2013
by Michelle Cometa
Follow Michelle Cometa on Twitter
Follow RITNEWS on Twitter
Members of the Multicultural Center for Academic Success at RIT recognized student, faculty and staff leaders at the annual “Celebration of STARS.” The annual awards celebration and dinner was highlighted by an evening of music, awards and inspiration—from the graduates with 4.0 averages to the keynote speaker, Keith Motley, president of the University of Massachusetts Boston.
Motley talked about strength and courage in the face of adversity. His campus lost a student in the recent bombing at the Boston Marathon.
“Boston is going through a tough time, our city is mourning, but it is healing,” he said that evening, and encouraged the more than 100 campus and community guests to learn from those closest to them. “Always wake up wanting to know more. And know that a younger generation is watching you. Someone wanting to come here is watching you. Lead by example, and get a 4.0 in life, too.”
The STAR Awards are given to campus and community members who have provided support to the center, its programs and students. Current graduates who also participate in the center’s programs are recognized. Individual awards are distributed to influential student-leaders.
2013 STAR Awards, held May 7, were given to:
Multicultural Center for Academic Success Awards
• Partner of the Year: James Watters, senior vice president, Finance and Administration
• Ally of the Year: Mary Beth Cooper, vice president, Student Affairs
• Scholar of the Year: Beri Foy
• NACME Scholar of the Year: Cory Ilo
• Rochester City Scholar of the Year: Christian Rosado
• Summer Bridge Scholar of the Year: Vashti Green
• Unsung Hero of the Year: Timothy Reed
AALANA Collegiate Association Awards
• Executive Board Member of the Year: Alicia Lazore
• Affiliate of the Year: National Society of Black Engineers
• Event of the Year: Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority Inc. and Lambda Sigma Upsilon Latino Fraternity Inc.
• Phoenix Award: Caribbean Student Association and Native American Student Association
• Black Awareness Coordinating Committee: Christina Harawa and Chelsea Allen
• Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc: Yessena Brown
• Determined Individuals Victoriously Achieving Success (D.I.V.A.S): LaChanda Mills
• Latin American Student Association: Rasha Awwad and Ceasar Mendez
• Society of African American Business Students: Carlos Castillo
• Unity House: Ian Scott
• Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.: Alyssa Alleyne-Atherly