ROCS DAY – which stands for Reaching Out for Community Service – was organized as part of RIT’s year-long 175th anniversary celebration.
The “Army of Orange” included more than 800 faculty, staff, students and alumni in the Rochester area plus about 800 participants in the annual Mud Tug fund-raiser event on campus, this year scheduled as part of ROCS Day. More than 300 faculty, staff and students at RIT’s affiliated campuses in
Croatia and Kosovo participated, and more than 50 alumni took part in projects organized by a half-dozen alumni chapters around the U.S.
More than 2,000 members of RIT's extended family around the world donned brilliant orange T-shirts and tackled volunteer projects on the first ROCS Day Sept. 18.
“RIT’s community involvement is well known, but this event is an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment as part of the celebration of a milestone in the university’s history,” says Cindee Gray, RIT’s assistant vice president for government and community relations.
Among the projects:
• Helping with activities at the Fun on the Farm Festival at Springdale Farm sponsored by Heritage Christian Services Inc. of Rochester.
• Cleaning and packaging used computers for distribution by Microcycle, in Rochester.
Courtney Wheeler, a student in RIT?s graduate program in school psychology, serves lunch at Central Church of Christ in downtown Rochester on ROCS Day. Photo by Martin Ceperley.
• Cleaning and gardening at NENA (North East Neighborhood Alliance), Rochester.
• Food preparation and cleaning at Central Church of Christ, 101 S. Plymouth Ave., Rochester.
• Working at St. Mary’s Food Bank (Phoenix, Ariz. alumni chapter).
• Building a sand box at a day care center (San Diego alumni chapter).
• Archiving historical Helen Keller documents for American Foundation for the Blind (New York City alumni chapter).
More than 100 participants from RIT?s American College
of Management and Technology in Dubrovnik, Croatia, refurbished a city playground. Photo by Haris Avdic.
RIT students, staff, faculty and family members helped out at the Fun on the Farm Festival at Springdale Farm in Ogden, N.Y. Photo by Alex Shukoff ?84.