Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Site-wide links

Accommodations FAQ for Students

(click on the questions below to view answers)

If you have a disability in addition to deafness, you might require accommodations and choose to request accommodations from Disability Services Office.

There are two pieces of information needed. First, you need to submit a request form. This can be found online here or in PDF format. Hard copy can be found at DSO and can be requested to be mailed. Second, you need to provide documentation of your disability. This can be a psycho-educational evaluation, or maybe a doctor's letter, depending on the disability. (Generally, high school IEPs or 504 plans are not accepted) Refer to this page for more info.

No, RIT does not offer evaluations on campus. If you wish to get evaluated, contact your primary care physician and/or discuss other options with your NTID counselor.

Email -
Telephone - 585 475 6988 (if needed, can use video relay service)

When making the appointment with the director, discuss the best mode of communication for your meeting. This can include assistive technology or requesting an interpreter.

A copy of your Disability Services Agreement (DSA) was sent to your instructors at the beginning of the semester. It is suggested that you speak to your instructors about your accommodations during their office hours so you have time and privacy to discuss your needs. You are not required to tell your instructors what your disability is. It is best to keep communication open about your accommodation needs throughout the semester with your instructors to ensure that your needs are being met.

If you are unsure about how to communicate with your instructors about your DSA, you can contact Susan Ackerman at or talk with your NTID counselor.

Check with your instructors to be sure they have received your DSA from the Disability Services Office. Discuss with your instructors how to set up the recommended accommodations. If you are not satisfied, discuss your concern with your instructor. If needed, you can discuss this with your NTID counselor and/or the RIT Disability Services Director.

Yes. You may decide that you need to adjust the accommodations you originally were offered. You can talk with the RIT Disability Services Director and discuss your needs. You may have this conversation at any time while you are a student at RIT. Your requested changes may require additional documentation.

If you are not satisfied with your services, you can login at the RIT myaccess website. Scroll down and on left column, you will see “Problems?” Click and report the problem. Other options are to contact your NTID counselor and/or RIT Disability Services Director. They can guide you to the appropriate person to assist you in resolving your concerns.

Sometimes, while you are in college, you discover that you have an additional disability which is impacting your education. You can discuss this concern with your NTID counselor and submit a request and documentation to the RIT Disability Services Director.

Tests can be administered in the classroom if accommodations can be offered or the Disability Services Office test center can be used. For information about the use of the DSO test center: