FAQ for Instructors

What technology resources are available for vision challenged students in the classroom? How do I request this equipment?

Almost all NTID general-purpose classrooms are already outfitted with a “low-vision” LCD monitor. Most of the NTID labs are pre-wired so a low-vision monitor can be installed as needed. To find out which spaces already have a low-vision monitor or to request an installation, contact the NTID Service Desk.


Use a CCTV. This machine uses a high-resolution video camera to enlarge and alter an image on a built-in video monitor. A CCTV can be delivered to NTID classrooms and labs as needed and is also requested at the NTID Service Desk.

How do I enlarge fonts for handouts and tests without having to reformat all my documents? Can I get some assistance with this?

Enlarge the original documents via a copier from an 8.5” X 11” original to 11” X 17” without altering the layout or format of the original.


You can request assistance from the RIT Disability Services Office: slzdso@rit.edu


Please give as much advance notice as possible when requesting the above assistance.


Use a CCTV (see the answer above).


Use the resident Visualizer. Almost all NTID general-purpose classrooms and most labs are outfitted with a visualizer. To find out which spaces have a visualizer, contact the NTID Service Desk.

What if a student cannot read/see email or web information because the font is too small?

In the browser, [IE, Firefox or Chrome] enlarge the size using [Ctrl and +]

Use a Low-vis monitor. [See the answer above].

How can students be included in classroom activities such as small group work or working at white or smart board?

Use a CCTV [see the answer above] to enlarge any handouts related to the work group.


Use darker board markers [blue, black]; avoid red and green.


Use the visualizer and/or a low-vis monitor combination [see the answer above].


Disability Services Office will send you Disability Services Agreements for students in your classes. The DSA will list accommodations specific to each student’s individual needs that have been approved.
If the student does not have a DSA, encourage thestudent to make an appointment at the RIT Disability Services Office. If they are approved for a DSA, the staff at the Disability Services Office can assist the student in scheduling a NTID Classroom/Lab Vision Assessment Report.

What if I have more vision-challenge questions related to technology accommodations? Who can I contact?

If you have more questions, contact Chas Johnstone, through the NTID Service desk:



NTID Service Desk




© Rochester Institute of Technology. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Copyright Infringement
RIT and NTID are registered trademarks of Rochester Institute of Technology.
Phone: 585-475-6400 Last updated on Apr 13, 2015