FAQ for Students

General FAQ

What are some challenges for a deaf-blind person?
  • Depending on others to feel safe and informed
  • Learning and using communication strategies
  • Becoming aware of and navigating their surroundings
  • Finding social, living and employment situations that fit their individual talents, needs and aspirations
  • Overcoming barriers that complicate their interactions with non deaf-blind people
Does the term "deaf-blind" mean that these individuals are completely blind and deaf?

No. It is common for people who are deaf-blind to have partial hearing and/or vision.

Does RIT/NTID have Support Service Providers (SSP)?

No, RIT does not offer SSP services, however, students interested in this service can contact community agencies in Rochester for this service. One community agency that offers SSP services is The Center for Disability Rights (CDR) in Rochester, N.Y. CDR is not affiliated with RIT and the college does not make any representation as to the quality or accuracy of the services provided. You are encouraged to communicate with several community agencies that offer SSP services before making a decision and choosing an agency that is right for you.


Do you have an eye doctor on campus?

Yes, RIT has an opthamologist who comes on campus every semester. For referral/appointments, call the RIT/NTID Hearing Aid Shop at 585-475-3130 or stop by in person and make an appointment. The doctor can provide medical diagnosis and follow up.
Eye Clinic Location: RIT, Lyndon Baines Johnson Hall, Rm. 3758

Who is the eye doctor?

The eye doctor is Dr. Ronald Plotnik, ophthalmogist and vision specialist.


What is the Vision Support Committee (VSC)?

VSC is a group of people that includes counselors, interpreters, audiologists, a technical support person and a deaf-blind student. Each member represents a different department and works together to provide services and support for deaf-blind students. Our names and contact information can be found under the "contact" category.

How can I find out more about VSC and the vision support program?

Coming to visit RIT/NTID is the best way to learn more about us. To receive information about services for deaf-blind students on campus, contact Laurie Mousley, Vision Support Committee chairperson.

Are there any related resources available at the RIT library?

Yes! You can learn more about library resources on the RIT Libraries website. RIT also offers deaf-blind-related visual materials such as books and DVDs.

How do I get academic accommodations for tests or things in the classroom?

Due to your vision loss you may require test or classroom accommodations. See examples on the Accommodation for Testing and Classroom Learning page.


You can submit an online request form to RIT Disability Services.

How do I get accommodations for my housing?

Due to your vision loss you may need to make sure you have a certain type of housing. An example might be that you should live on the first floor or a lower floor so you can exit the building easily during a fire alarm. You can submit an online request form to RIT Disability Services.

How do I get accommodations for transportation around campus?

Due to your vision loss you may need to use the "Accessible Van Service" rather than the general RIT shuttle system. This service is available fall and spring semesters from 7am-6pm. You can submit an online request form to RIT Disability Services.

What can I do if I need help getting out of my residence hall, apartment, or classroom during a fire alarm?

If you require help during a fire alarm, please contact the RIT Disability Services Office to talk about your needs. Call 585-475-2023, email smacst@rit.edu, or visit them in the Student Alumni Union (SAU), room 1150.

Technology FAQ

What technology resources are available for vision-challenged students in the classroom? How do I request this equipment?

Almost all NTID general purpose classrooms are already outfitted with a “low-vision” LCD monitor. Most of the NTID labs are pre-wired so a low-vision monitor can be installed as needed. To find out which spaces already have a low-vision monitor or to request an installation, ask your teacher to contact the NTID Service Desk.


Use a CCTV. This machine uses a high-resolution video camera to enlarge and alter an image on a built-in video monitor. A CCTV can be delivered to NTID classrooms and labs as needed and is also requested by your teacher at the NTID Service Desk.

How do I enlarge fonts for handouts and tests without having to reformat all my documents? Can I get some assistance with this?

Enlarge the original documents via a copier from an 8.5" x 11" original to 11 x 17" without altering the layout or format of the original.


You can also request assistance from the RIT Disability Services Office: slzdso@rit.edu


Please give as much advance notice as possible when requesting the above assistance.


Use a CCTV [see the answer above].


Use the resident Visualizer. Almost all NTID general-purpose classrooms and most labs are outfitted with a visualizer. To find out which spaces have a visualizer, contact the NTID Service Desk.

What if I can not read/see email or Web information because the font is too small?

In the browser [IE, FireFox or Chrome], enlarge the size using [Ctrl and +]


Use a low-vis monitor. [see the answer above].

How can I be included in classroom activities such as small group work or working at the board?

Use a CCTV [see the answer above] to enlarge any handouts related to the work group.


Use darker board markers [blue, black]; avoid red and green.


Use the visualizer and/or a low-vis monitor combination [see the answer above].


Be sure you have 1] a “Disability Services Agreement” from the RIT Disability Services Office and 2] a "NTID Classroom/Lab Vision Assessment Report." Give a copy of these documents to your teachers and counselors. These documents will list accommodations specific to your individual needs that have been approved.

What if I have more technology-related questions? Whom can I contact?

Contact Chas Johnstone through the Help Desk:


NTID Help Desk


585-475-2200 [TTY/voice]


© Rochester Institute of Technology. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Copyright Infringement
RIT and NTID are registered trademarks of Rochester Institute of Technology.
Phone: 585-475-6400 Last updated on Apr 13, 2015