What technology resources are available for vision-challenged students in the classroom? How do I request this equipment?

Almost all NTID general purpose classrooms are already outfitted with a “low-vision” LCD monitor. Most of the NTID labs are pre-wired so a low-vision monitor can be installed as needed. To find out which spaces already have a low-vision monitor or to request an installation, ask your teacher to contact the NTID Service Desk.


Use a CCTV. This machine uses a high-resolution video camera to enlarge and alter an image on a built-in video monitor. A CCTV can be delivered to NTID classrooms and labs as needed and is also requested by your teacher at the NTID Service Desk.

How do I enlarge fonts for handouts and tests without having to reformat all my documents? Can I get some assistance with this?

Enlarge the original documents via a copier from an 8.5" x 11" original to 11 x 17" without altering the layout or format of the original.


You can also request assistance from the RIT Disability Services Office:


Please give as much advance notice as possible when requesting the above assistance.


Use a CCTV [see the answer above].


Use the resident Visualizer. Almost all NTID general-purpose classrooms and most labs are outfitted with a visualizer. To find out which spaces have a visualizer, contact the NTID Service Desk.

What if I can not read/see email or Web information because the font is too small?

In the browser [IE, FireFox or Chrome], enlarge the size using [Ctrl and +]


Use a low-vis monitor. [see the answer above].

How can I be included in classroom activities such as small group work or working at the board?

Use a CCTV [see the answer above] to enlarge any handouts related to the work group.


Use darker board markers [blue, black]; avoid red and green.


Use the visualizer and/or a low-vis monitor combination [see the answer above].


Be sure you have 1] a “Disability Services Agreement” from the RIT Disability Services Office and 2] a "NTID Classroom/Lab Vision Assessment Report." Give a copy of these documents to your teachers and counselors. These documents will list accommodations specific to your individual needs that have been approved.

What if I have more technology-related questions? Whom can I contact?

Contact Chas Johnstone through the Help Desk:

NTID Help Desk


585-475-2200 [TTY/voice]

© Rochester Institute of Technology. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Copyright Infringement
RIT and NTID are registered trademarks of Rochester Institute of Technology.
Phone: 585-475-6400 Last updated on Apr 13, 2015