Raising and Educating a Deaf Child

International experts answer your questions about the choices, controversies, and decisions faced by the parents and educators of deaf and hard-of-hearing children.

Question from V.M., Kuala Lumpur

I am profoundly deaf. I completed my associate degree in digital imaging from NTID, in Rochester, New York, and my BA degree in Graphic Design from Curtin University, Australia. I want to work as a teacher for deaf children at a primary school level. What is your advice regarding the best way for me to get a degree in Education? Is it possible to get such a degree by distance education?

Question from V.M., Kuala Lumpur. Posted January 12, 2012.
Response from John Luckner - University of Northern Colorado

The University of Northern Colorado, Greeley Colorado USA has on online graduate degree program to prepare teachers of students who are deaf or hard of hearing (http://www.unco.edu/cebs/sped/prospective/deafandhearing/index.html). However, I am not aware of any online undergraduate programs.

Because of your connection to Australia, you might also contact the Renwick Centre at the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (http://www.ridbc.org.au/renwick/index.php) to see what training opportunities they provide.