Raising and Educating a Deaf Child

International experts answer your questions about the choices, controversies, and decisions faced by the parents and educators of deaf and hard-of-hearing children.

Question from N.G., Pennsylvania

I have a friend who has a 10 year old child with cochlear implants. However, the child uses ASL as her primary means of communication. She wants to know if there is any way to get an ASL interpreter to help her daughter in a community setting instead of just an educational setting. Basically, she wants an ASL interpreter to accompany her daughter in the community. Is such a service available and if so, how would she get it? We are in PA.

Question from N.G., Pennsylvania. Posted February 4, 2012.
Response from Marc Marschark - NTID

Because you are talking about “private” activities, the only way to secure an interpreter for the child would be through a (paid) private interpreting service. You can find those for your area online or in the telephone book. Apparently, in Pennsylvania and most other states, in order to secure interpreting services through the school, the “community” activity would have to be part of some school-related function.