Video Examples: Interviewing Strategies
- Your goal is to bring out the candidate’s best ASL. You are the candidate’s ally.
- Model ASL for the candidate. This means:
- Don’t code-switch to more Englishy signing.
- Mouth movements must match natural ASL signing.
- If candidate doesn’t understand:
- Repeat the question just as you signed it the first time.
- Repeat, but more slowly.
- Re-phrase the question with ASL syntax (don’t change to English syntax).
- Rephrase again…slow down…etc.
- Do not use more fingerspelling
- NEVER show frustration. NEVER. No, not even then.
- 20 minutes, three topics.
- Hobbies/leisure activities
- Beginning the interview
- Challenging, follow-up and probing questions
- Changing topics
- Ending the interview
|Interviewing Skills Summary.pdf||41.27 KB|