The Quarter Mile

How do I get into RIT?
Complete an Application for Admission. This can be completed online or with a paper application.

What if I did not take the SAT or ACT exams?
No problem, we would ask you to submit high school transcripts, college transcripts and any other formal documentation that shows that you have completed coursework that you wish to be considered for transfer into RIT.

Can I transfer credits that I earned from service in the US Armed Forces?
Yes, you should have an AARTS , CCAF or SMART transcript sent to RIT Admissions in support of your application. This may also include standardized tests such as CLEP.

Are RIT’s courses approved for veterans and members of the US Armed Forces?
Yes, the New York State Division of Veteran Affairs, Bureau of Veterans Education, has approved all RIT programs.

Are RIT courses accredited?
All of RIT’s programs are accredited by the Middle States Accrediting Agency and several programs have earned the highest professional accreditation available.

Does RIT have a Veterans Office?
Yes, RIT maintains a fully staffed Veterans office ready to assist veterans, their dependents and all members of the US Armed Forces with information regarding RIT, veterans enefits and other programs that may be available to meet their needs. This help is available by fax, email, telephone, walk-ins, or by web-based Live Chat.

Do I need to pay “up front” for tuition or fees?
Only the application fee ($50) is required up front. In hardship cases, a written waiver request can be made to the Director of RIT Admissions. Prepayment of tuition is not necessary if RIT has processed your request for benefits. However, you must request a Veteran Tuition Deferrment if you intend to pay as you receive your benefits.

What do I need to do if I am eligible for the VA’s Yellow Ribbon Program?
As a Yellow Ribbon University, all you must do is contact RIT’s Veterans Office and provide the information necessary to prove your eligibility.

As a disabled veteran I am going to need assistance, is there someone I need to meet with?
Yes, RIT’s Veterans Office can assist you with what is required and help you with every step of the way. As RIT has a large number of veterans attending, their experience with issues such as this makes them an invaluable source of help.

I have a hearing loss. Are there audiology services available at RIT?
Yes. RIT is the home of NTID, known throughout the world as a leader in educating men and women with hearing loss for more than 40 years. The Communications Studies and Services Department at NTID offers full hearing aid and cochlear implant services for all students free of charge. Visit their Frequently Asked Questions to learn more!

Are there any VA facilities nearby?
Yes, there is a VA Outpatient Treatment Center nearby, and also a Vet Center only five minutes away. Outreach and counseling are the Vet Center’s main focus.

I’m concerned I may need special services or academic help when I start classes. Is help available?
Certainly! RIT has a terrific Academic Support Center and an Office of Disabled Student Services, where you can advocate for additional time, tutors and have special assistance approved.

Does RIT offer housing?
Yes, RIT maintains on-campus dorms and apartments. As housing is assigned on a first come, first served basis, incoming students are advised to contact RIT Housing as quickly as you can after accepting our offer of admission.

Is financial aid available for veterans?
Yes, the Student Financial Aid (SFA) Office can help with any questions you may have. After you file the required FAFSA Application, we encourage you to meet with your SFA counselor to see how resources may be packaged to assist you with your expenses.

Can I apply for financial aid and veterans benefits?
You sure can. In fact, many RIT veterans and their dependents are eligible for both US Department of Veterans benefits and NYS Veteran benefits. Be sure to ask about these!

Under the 9/11 GI Bill, how long do I have to use my entitlement?
Generally, you will have 15 years from the date of separation from active duty. For specifics check out the US Department of Veteran Affairs webpage.