College of Science History
1888-1920 Science course is offered in support of Household Arts and Sciences, Industrial Arts.
1897 Course in electricity (Ohm’s Law) is offered.
1900-1901 Courses in qualitative analysis, physics, electricity, algebra, and geometry are offered.
1913-1914 A course in botany, the careful study of anatomy and morphology, physiology, ecology, and natural science, is offered. Courses in zoology and astronomy are offered.
1915 A course in chemistry of textiles is offered.
1916 Courses in household chemistry and household physics are offered.
1917 Courses in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry are offered in the School of Industrial Arts.
1906-1907 Requirements for admission include a high school diploma and a full year’s work in physics or biology.
1920 A two-year course of study in chemistry designed to prepare people to become managers of industrial plants where chemical processes play an important part is introduced.
1921 Tuition for a course of study in industrial chemistry is approximately $200 a year.
1926 A course in industrial chemistry is started.
1930 Physics and chemistry courses are taught in support of the photographic technology program. (The program is a precursor to imaging science).
1950 Industrial chemistry becomes the chemistry major. Chemical engineering and metal finishing begin alternating periods of on-campus instruction with cooperative education. Courses in microbiology and biochemistry are offered.
1951 The college offers an associate of applied science degree in chemistry, the first of its kind in New York state.
1953-1954 The college offers the associate of applied science degree in medical technology. The full-time two-year program is designed to prepare individuals to work in hospitals, clinics, and pharmaceutical companies. The program receives board certification.
1954-1955 The college’s organizational structure changes. The college is now made up of departments and divisions.
1955-1956 The division of engineering and science now offers the associate of applied science degree in chemistry and clinical laboratory technology and the bachelor of science degree in chemistry.
1957-1958 The division of applied science is established.
1960-1961 The department of chemistry is established and a program in medical technology is offered.
1963 The College of Science is established. The department of mathematics is established.
1963-1964 A zoology course is offered.
1964-1965 Ralph L. Van Peursem is named Dean of the College of Science. The college now consists of the departments of biology, chemistry, math, and physics. The institute’s first computing course, computer techniques, is offered through the math department.
1965-1966 The chemistry department offers the master of science degree in chemistry. Tuition is $1270/year. The college offers a two-year degree in industrial chemistry technology that consists of 190 credits. Medical technology and industrial chemistry technology degrees are 185 credits. The fourth year of the program is spent at a hospital.
1967 Bachelor of science degrees are introduced in biology and applied mathematics.
1968 The bachelor of science degree in physics is introduced.
1968-1969 The College of Science opens the Computer Center. Director Frederick R. Henderson describes the center as “an integral part of the College of Science. It offers courses which supplement the instruction given in other departments of the institute.” The Computer Center occupies the first floor of 50 West Main Street.
1973 The bachelor of science program in medical technology is offered.
1974 The bachelor of science program in nuclear medicine technology is introduced.
1975 The bachelor of science program in clinical chemistry is offered.
1976 The college establishes the clinical sciences department. The department includes medical technology, nuclear medicine technology, and biomedical computing programs.
The bachelor of science program in computational mathematics is introduced.
1978 The bachelor of science degree in biomedical computing is introduced.
1982 The bachelor of science degree in diagnostic medical sonography is introduced.
1983 A program in biotechnology begins.
The Munsell Color Science Laboratory is established at RIT with a grant from the Munsell Color Foundation. Its first director is Professor Franc Grum of the department of photographic science, forerunner of the Center for Imaging Science.
1986 The bachelor of science degree in polymer chemistry is introduced.
1988 The doctorate program in imaging science begins. The program is the first Ph.D. offered at RIT and the first such program in the U.S.
The Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science is dedicated and houses the new program in imaging science.
1990 The symbolic computation room opens, followed later by a symbolic computation lab and statistics lab.
The dual BS/MS in applied statistics is introduced.
The dual BS/MS in computational mathematics/computer science is introduced.
1993 The bachelor of science physician assistant program is introduced.
The dual BS/MS degree in chemistry is introduced.
The dual BS/MS degree in polymer chemistry/chemistry is introduced.
1995 The Carlson Center for Imaging Science joins the College of Science.
Photographic science and instrumentation along with imaging and photographic science become the imaging science program.
Color science, appearance, and technology becomes the color science program.
The dual BS/MS industrial engineering/applied statistics is offered.
1996 The bachelor of science degree in biochemistry is offered.
1996-1997 A joint interdisciplinary course called The Clock is offered by the College of Science, the College of Liberal Arts, and the College of Applied Science and Technology.
1997 The bachelor of science program in chemistry, with the environmental option, is introduced.
1998 The dual BS/MS in computational mathematics/industrial and applied mathematics is introduced.
The dual BS/MS in applied statistics/industrial and applied mathematics is introduced.
The dual BS/MS in applied mathematics/industrial and applied mathematics is introduced.
1999 Environmental science BS/MS degrees are introduced.
The environmental science program is introduced. This innovative program was designed in cooperation with practicing environmental professionals in the College of Science and College of Liberal Arts.
The bachelor of science in biochemistry and the master of science in chemistry degrees are introduced.
2000 RIT imaging scientists Robert Johnston and Roger Easton Jr. use imaging technology to reveal a transcription of Greek mathematician Archimedes, hidden under a later manuscript using ultraviolet, visible, and infrared wavelengths to separate the faint script and 55 geometric drawings from liturgical writings made over original writing.
2001 A new cross-disciplinary course, Analogy, Mathematics, and Poetry, is developed and team-taught by Professor Marcia Birken of the department of mathematics and statistics (College of Science) and by Professor Anne Coon of the department of language and literature (College of Liberal Arts). The course explores analogy as the glue that links math and poetry.
The physics department, in conjunction with the College of Science and the First-In-Class program, establish the NanoPower Research labs.
Student Meghann Lyons is named a Fulbright Scholar. She will study human genetics in Iceland during the summer as part of the scholarship.
The dual BS/MS degree in biomedical computing/computer science is offered.
A new BS and MS program in bioinformatics, which merges biotechnology and information technology, is introduced.