Albert J. Simone piloted RIT through the greatest growth in the universityís modern history. Under his leadership as RITís 8th president (1992-2007), numerous academic programs were established in response to changing global needs and opportunities in areas of RITís strengths. He has positioned RIT as one of the leading national universities in professional and career-oriented education.
Today, Dr. Simone serves RIT as President Emeritus. He also serves as chairman of Greater Rochester Enterprise, a regional economic development organization, supporting business attraction and expansion, as well as entrepreneurship and innovation throughout Greater Rochester.
Prior to coming to RIT, Dr. Simone was president of the University of Hawaii System and chancellor of the University of Hawaii at Manoa for nine years. A native of Boston, Dr. Simone received his B.A. in economics from Tufts University and his Ph.D. in economics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Simone is the author of numerous books and articles, and has served on dozens of public and private boards over the years, chairing a number of them.
Here is a look back at Dr. Simoneís half century of leadership in higher education:
- Eighth president, Rochester Institute of Technology, September 1992 - June 2007.
- President, University of Hawaii System and chancellor of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1984 -1992
- Vice president, Academic Affairs, University of Hawaii, 1983 - 1984
- Dean, College of Business Administration, University of Cincinnati, 1972 - 1983
- Previous teaching experience: Tufts University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northeastern University, Boston College, Boston University
- Ph.D. in economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1962
- B.A. in economics, Tufts University, 1957
- Entrepreneurial American Leadership Award from Partners for Livable Communities, Washington, D.C., 2006
- YWCA of Rochester and Monroe County Racial Justice Award, 2005
- Rochester Rotary Award, 2004
- Catholic Family Center Award, 2004
- Rochester International Council International Citizen Award, 2004
- Boy Scouts of America Distinguished Citizen of the Year Award, 2003
- National Association of Student Affairs Professionals (NASAP) Presidentís Award, 2001
- Henrietta Area Community Outstanding Citizen Award, 2000
- Jewish National Fundís Tree of Life Award, the organizationís highest honor, 1996
- High Technology of Rochester (Board of Directors)
- Rochester Business Alliance (Board Member)
- Hillside Childrenís Center (Corporate Member)
- Center for Governmental Research (Board Member)
- Executive Committee of Upstate Partners, a partnership to strengthen relationships among Upstate colleges, communities and business
- Council on Competitiveness
- RIT High Technology Incubator (Chairperson, Bd. of Directors)
- New York State Business Council, Public Policy Institute (Board Member)
- Excellus Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Board Member)
- M&T Bank Advisory Board (Director)
- Wilson Community Center (Member)
- New York State Education Commissionerís Advisory Board on Higher Education (Member)
- Past chair, Board of Trustees of the New York Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities
- National Commission for Cooperative Education (Trustee)
- Association of Independent Technological Universities
- Rochester Area College Consortium, current chairman
- Member, National Collegiate Athletics Association Division 1 Presidents Commission
- President Simone and his wife, Carolie, have four grown children and five grandchildren.