Papers &: Speeches
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the following documents.
- "Eagle Scouts: Moving Along the Winning Path" (Jan. 11, 2007): President Simone delivers the keynote address at the Otetiana Council Eagle Scout Dinner
- Meeting the Global Challenge Through Diversity (Feb. 7, 2006): Women and minorities are the key to increasing American strength in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- Call to Arms: Report of the Blue Ribbon Task Force To Assess the Rochester City School District's Financial Practices and their Relationship to Educational Outcomes (August 2005): President Simone serves as chairman on the 9-member panel.
- K-12 Education: The Gateways to Achieving the American Dream (May 31m 2005): President Simone delivers the keynote address at the annual Four County School Boards Association meeting.
- Importance of partnering with minority vendors (June 21, 2005): A keynote address at the Supplier Diversity Expo and Conference.
- When You Come to the Fork in the Road .... (April 21-22, 2005): Dr. Simone presents his views on both individual and institutional integrity.
- Statler Foundation Address (Nov. 13, 2004): Dr. Simone talks about the entrepreneurial spirit to Statler Scholarship recipients.
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Shifting the spotlight from Division I to Division III (March 16, 2004): President Simone is finding surprising and disturbing trends in Division III sports.
- Becoming A Category-of-One University (February 3, 2004)
- Very Good to Great (July 18, 2003): In a presentation to the Board of Trustees, president Simone outlines his thoughts on a new strategic plan, branding and institutional identity.
- Shaping RIT's Destiny (May 20, 2003): President Simone begins discussion on RITs Strategic Planning process for 2005-2015.
- Is Affirmative Action in University Admissions Legal, Effective, and Just? (May, 2003): President Simone gives his personal position on Affirmative Action in higher education. Here, he also outlines the potential implications the 2003 U.S. Supreme Court ruling may have on RIT policy.
- Teaching, Scholarship, and Service at RIT: Expectations and Enablers (April 15, 2002): President Simone presents his expectations of RIT faculty with regard to their teaching, scholarship, and service activities.
- Leadership: Education's Challenge and Responsibility (April 29, 2001): President Simone gives the keynote address at the annual conference of Educational Administrators Serving the Deaf.
- 2007 Convocation Remarks (May 25, 2007): After 15 years of service to RIT, President Simone delivers his final address to graduates - "Meeting America's Education Challenge."
- The World Beckons (May 11, 2007): President Simone delivers the keynote commencement address to Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.
- NTID: A Message From One President to Another (Oct. 27, 2006): Addressing the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, President Simone provides historical context and advice for the next RIT president regarding deaf culture.
- 2006 State of the Institute Address (Oct. 7, 2006): President Simone delivers his final annual address during Brick City Homecoming.
- 2006 Community Address: Finishing One Book and Starting Another (Aug. 31, 2006): President Simone delivers his final opening day remarks. Sets tone for the future.
- 2006 Convocation Remarks (May 26, 2006): President Simone confers degrees on more than 3,500 graduates. His speech addresses the global economy – “The World is Flat – and Beckoning.”
- Grade Inflation (November 2005): President Simone examines the phenomenon of "Grade Inflation."
- 2005 State of the Institute Address (Oct. 8, 2005): President Simone delivers his annual address during Brick City Homecoming.
- 2005 Community Address: Teaching, Scholarship, and Practice - A Provocative Balance (Sept. 1, 2005): President Simone outlines his vision for student success at RIT.
- Monroe Community College Commencement Address (June 2, 2005): President Simone is the graduation speaker for MCC and delivers his address, "The Key to Success."
- 2005 Convocation Remarks (May 20, 2005): President Simone urges more than 3,500 graduates to exercise ethical behavior in the real world in a speech he titles: "Success in Life and Career: The Critical Element."
- 2004 State of the Institute Address (October 23, 2004): During the 175th Anniversary celebration, President Simone delivers his annual address during Brick City Festival and Alumni Weekend.
- 2004 Community Address: The Beginning of the Next Journey (September 2, 2004): President Simone provides a review of some of the accomplishments of the past year at RIT, followed by the issues and opportunities that lie ahead in the 2004-2005 academic year.
- 2004 Convocation Remarks (May 21, 2004): President Simone outlines RIT's proposed Strategic Plan (2005-2015), which is nearly finalized. He calls for RIT to become a "Category-of-One University." A Category-of-One University is a university that stands alone in the eyes of its constituents. It is a university that is the benchmark for all universities which have a similar purpose and mission.
- 2003 State of the Institute Address (October 11, 2003): Before an audience of parents, students and alumni, President Simone delivers his annual address during Brick City Festival and Alumni Weekend.
- 2003 Community Address: Continuing Achievement and Challenging Opportunity (September 4, 2003): President Simone provides a review of some of the accomplishments of the past year at RIT, followed by the challenges that lie ahead in the 2003-2004 academic year.
- 2003 Convocation Remarks: An Inclusive America (May 23, 2003): President Simone tells more than 3,500 graduates that American must be inclusive to stay competitive in a global economy. RITs career and quality of education mission, as well as the long-term interest of America itself, requires that we become even more diverse, he says.
- 2002 Community Address: Building on Success (September 4, 2002): President Simone provides a review of some of the accomplishments of the past year at RIT, followed by the challenges that lie ahead in the 2002-2003 academic year.
- 2002 Convocation Remarks (May 24, 2002): I urge all of you, throughout your careers and lives, to find ways to serve your community either through direct public service employment or through volunteer efforts locally, regionally, nationally and globally, President Simone tells graduates at the 2002 commencement ceremony before introducing CIA Director George Tenet.
- Achieving a Diverse Faculty at RIT (March 25, 2002): At RIT Diversity Day in March 2002, President Simone articulates his goal on why it is necessary that RIT have a thriving diverse campus.
- 2001 Community Address: RIT: A Unique Institution Within the Family of Universities (September 5, 2001): President Simone outlines his plans for the year and takes time to reflect on three historic $14 million gifts.
- 2001 Convocation Speech (May 25, 2001): The Class of 2001 hears President Simones five attributes of leadership.
- 2000 Community Address: Middle of the Fifth Inning (September 5, 2000): RITs retention, First in Class initiative, capital campaign, honors program and diversity highlight President Simones address to RIT facultyand staff.