Imagine RIT: RIT’s Strategic Plan
The RIT Mission
To provide a broad range of career-oriented educational programs with the goal of producing innovative, creative graduates who are well-prepared for their chosen careers in a global society.
The RIT community engages and motivates students through stimulating and collaborative experiences. We rigorously pursue new and emerging career areas. We develop and deliver curricula and advance scholarship and research relevant to emerging technologies and social conditions.
Our community is committed to diversity and student centeredness and is distinguished by our innovative and collaborative spirit. Internal and external partnerships expand our students’ experiential learning. RIT is committed to mutually enriching relationships with alumni, government, business, and the world community. Teaching, learning, scholarship, research, innovation, and leadership development for promoting student success are our central enterprises.
RIT will lead higher education in preparing students for innovative, creative, and successful careers in a global society.
RIT reaches the highest levels of quality of education through collective and individual commitment to ethics, pluralism, and respect for humanity. Together we value collaboration, openness, flexibility, pragmatism, experiential learning, entrepreneurship, global awareness and relationships, innovation, creativity, and practical applications. Individually, we are responsible, hard-working, critical thinkers who pursue personal and professional growth with diligence, pride, and spirit.
- Providing opportunities for student success will motivate everything we do.
- The student climate will reflect the highest caliber of academic advising, professional counseling, caring, support, and mentoring.
- An RIT education will be a unique integration of high quality academic study and experiential learning, innovation, and creativity with a specific focus on successful careers.
- A high level of scholarship will be conducted in all academic areas to strengthen teaching and research and enhance the engagement of all undergraduate and graduate students in their learning experiences.
- Flexible and responsive curricula, programs, and systems will characterize the educational infrastructure.
- Climate and Environment
- The campus climate will be one of openness, access, diversity, trust, mutual support, and effective communication.
- The university environment will reflect an aura of pride, spirit, and inclusion among all constituencies.
- Global awareness and experience will permeate the university.
- Academic and extracurricular programs will be connected and mutually reinforcing.
- Interdisciplinary academic programs will be encouraged.
- Financial Base
- Cost effective and revenue opportunistic activities—always consistent with and supportive of the above principles and priorities—will be pursued to augment the required financial base. There will be a continual review of the cost base of the university to insure that funds are appropriately allocated to support the strategic plan.
Key Result Areas
To view the full version of the Key Result Areas and Goals, login using your RIT Computer Account.
1. Be renowned for student success
The extent to which students obtain an education that prepares them for the challenges and opportunities awaiting them in a rapidly changing and diverse global society.
Improve student retention and graduation rates.
Achieve best in class diversity levels for minority student, faculty, and staff populations.
Increase student participation in global initiatives.
Increase percentage of graduating students with employment offers or graduate school acceptances.
2. Maximize opportunities for innovation, creativity, research, and scholarship.
The extent to which the educational experience is characterized by opportunities to develop and apply creative and innovative approaches to learning and problem solving.
Achieve 100% student participation in innovation, creativity, and scholarship activities.
Increase sponsored research awards.
Increase the number of students, full-time faculty, and research faculty in the Golisano Institute for Sustainability.
Achieve 100% faculty participation in scholarship.
3. Execute with organizational/operational excellence.
Achieve the organizational mission in the most cost-effective/efficient manner.
Maintain a balanced annual operating budget.
Grow the RIT endowment.
Demonstrate educational excellence through the achievement of student learning, academic effectiveness, student placement goals.
4. Achieve the highest levels of stakeholder satisfaction.
The extent to which the requirements and expectations of key stakeholder groups are met or exceeded by RIT, including students and their families; alumni; RIT faculty and staff; business community; government; donors.
Through brand enhancement strategies, increase undergraduate applications; out-of-state undergraduate applications; and graduate applications.
Grow fundraising by increasing annual fundraising; alumni giving; number of annual donors; and actively engaged alumni.
Achieve best-in-class stakeholder satisfaction levels as measured by regularly administered faculty, staff, and student satisfaction instruments.