Why was the policy updated?
- Reflect changes in technology such as the challenges associated with handling electronic records and electronic communications
- Respond to increasing threats such as spam, malware and phishing that may masquerade as “personal communications”
- Clarify the legitimate privacy expectations of RIT community members and visitors to RIT
- Reflect changes in regulatory requirements, including HIPAA, GLB, USA Patriot Act, NYS Information Security Breach & Notification Act, etc.
What are the changes?
Will the policy result in any changes to normal RIT business practices?
You should expect no change to normal RIT business practices.
Why was an Institutional Privacy Committee formed?
Web site “privacy policies”
- Web site privacy policies must be labeled as a “privacy statement” not a “policy.” Web site privacy statements may only describe how information is used on a specific site and may not imply greater protection than the information may actually receive.
For more information