The Intellectual Property Management Office is charged with managing RIT's intellectual property portfolio in a manner so as to:
- enhance the reputation of the Institute, its faculty, staff and students;
- support Institute efforts to ensure graduating students have been imbued with an entrepreneurial spirit and an applied understanding of IP;
- foster enhanced research interactions with the private sector;
- facilitate the transfer of RIT technologies for the use and benefit of society;
- generate additional research funds through leveraging the value of RIT's intellectual property.
In five years RIT expects to have a campus-wide culture of managing and leveraging intellectual property for the benefit of the Institute, its faculty, staff and students. This will be evidenced by:
- a growing intellectual property portfolio;
- a process that encourages publishing while protecting intellectual property;
- enhanced research partnerships with industry, and;
- increasing transfers of intellectual property to the private sector.