MAGIC Co-Up Program
MAGIC Co-Up Program
The key differentiator for a place like RIT is a focus on student innovation: students today need to be prepared for multiple careers, start-ups, failures, and experiences. They are likely to face technology disruption in their own careers, and they are likely to be on the forefront of disrupting other industries. RIT is committed to focusing not only on top quality academic programs, but also on the fabric and experiences that will help prepare students for global challenges and unique opportunities.
As a part of these efforts, we are delighted to announce the 3rd annual RIT ‘Co-Up’ Program, which is designed to help fund students to ‘co-op’ over the summer in multidisciplinary teams on projects and experiences that lead to ‘start-up’ products and commercial activities in digital media.
Want to get paid to take your idea to the big leagues? This is your chance! Winning teams will be selected for funding, support and mentorship in Student Innovation Hall this summer!
THE FINE PRINT:
- You must be a student at RIT to participate and receive funding. Teams may include students from other regional area colleges and/or recent alumni, but they are not eligible for funding
- Your submission must be DIGITAL in nature (i.e. game, app, service, experience, etc.) Board and card games are not eligible for submission
- You must obtain the consent of your home academic department for this experience to count as co-op credit (note: you don’t have to earn co-op credit to participate, it is an option and yours to pursue if interested/applicable). You must meet with your academic advisor about how this fits your plan of study
- You must submit deliverables at the end of summer for review, and work with your mentoring team throughout the summer (details specific to your project and plan established upon admission)
- Preference will be given to concepts and teams that cross disciplinary boundaries and organizations
- You and your team will use Student Innovation Hall as “home base”
WHAT DO I NEED TO APPLY?
A submission will consist of 4 components:
(1) Prototype of digital media you are creating
(2) PDFs of the following:
- business plan that outlines how your digital media product would impact the proposed market
- detailed statement of how your team will utilize the funding and support during the summer to produce
- list of deliverables to be produced that moves your co-up project forward
*It is expected that most projects funded through this initiative have already received considerable development, either through a class, a prior program, or individual effort.
Information session to learn more: Thursday, March 30 from 4:00-5:30PM (dinner will be provided) in Student Innovation Hall. This session is not required, but it is a great opportunity to learn more about the program, have your questions answered and possibly find team members to join you who are not already on a team and are looking for a way to contribute their talent and be a part of this experience.
- Submissions are due on Monday, April 24 at Noon. Submissions should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com You will receive a confirmation emailing to confirm that your submission has been received.
- Selected teams/projects will be notified on Monday, May 1
- Co-Up program begins: Tuesday, May 30
- Co-Up program ends: Friday, August 4
Interested, but have questions or need more information? Contact Jennifer Hinton at MAGIC: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, check out the MAGIC website.
The RIT CO-UP program is made possible through the generous financial support from individual members of the RIT Board of Trustees and is supported programmatically by the RIT Center for MAGIC and the Simone Center for Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship.