Through exploration, collaboration, and computational simulation in game worlds and virtual spaces, the creation of systems, prototypes, and interaction models for new and emerging media, and the production of public works and dissemination of findings, the lab facilitates research initiatives in fields such as:
• Experimental game design and development
• Visualization environments and integrated media frameworks
• Outreach efforts that surround games and underlying technologies
• Support of STEM learning through games and interactive entertainment
• Application of games and game technology to non-entertainment domains
Thanks to a partnership with Alienware, the lab houses high-end PC systems that are optimized for games and interactive application support. Each station in the lab is fully-featured, with graphics hardware from Nvidia or ATI, and processors from Intel or AMD, allowing for a wide array of testing and project support capabilities.
Each machine, running Windows Vista Ultimate, features the following software:
• Autodesk 3ds Max
• Autodesk Maya Unlimited
• Adobe Master Collection CS4
• Visual Studio Team Edition
• XNA Game studio
• Various other software and visualization environments
Additionally, the lab features a wide variety of hardware for testing, including high definition televisions, most modern game consoles (including Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles), and equipment for video capture and generalized computing.
For assistance or more information, please contact: