- Signature Authority @ RIT
- Electronic Submission
- Information on Overnight Delivery
- RIT Forms
- Compliance Policies & Processes:
- Human Subjects Research
- Chemical Materials, Hazardous Waste, or Radiation Review
- Conflict of Interest
When you are ready to submit your proposal to a sponsor, you should discuss submission procedures with the SRS Senior Research Administrator (SRA) assigned to your college or unit. The SRA will help you finalize the budget, will review all internal and external (funding agency) forms, will obtain the final RIT authorizing signatures, and will submit the proposal for you.
Before submitting a proposal to a sponsor, an internal review of the proposal must take place. You should allow sufficient time for review of your proposal and to obtain internal signatures. The procedure is as follows:
- Complete the RIT Proposal Review Form
- Obtain the appropriate signatures:
- Principal Investigator
- Co-principal Investigator(s)
- Dean(s), Department head(s), and/or director(s)
- Chairperson, Institutional Review Board (for proposals involving human subjects)
- Environmental Health Manager (for proposals involving chemical materials, hazardous wastes, radiation/laser energy)
- Submit proposal with the Proposal Review Form to SRS.
- SRS reviews proposal for accuracy and compliance with institute and sponsor guidelines.
- SRS obtains the following signatures:
- Provost, or other authorizing official
- Associate Provost for Outreach if proposal is designated First-In-Class
- SRS photocopies and mails the proposal (or advises Principal Investigator to submit electronically).
- The proposal guidelines from the funding agency will specify how and where the proposal is to be submitted. While many agencies now require or encourage electronic submission of proposals, many still require that proposals be submitted in paper format. The SRA for your college or unit will work with you to assure that your proposal is submitted correctly, and in a timely fashion.
Certain programs have a two-step proposal process, with a five to ten page letter of intent, white paper, or pre-proposal required for initial screening before a full proposal can be submitted. If this is a requirement, please have the pre-proposal reviewed under the Pre-Proposal Review Form. This is reviewed and signed by the PI, Co-PIs, Department Head and Dean. Your SRA will work with you to develop an initial budget as necessary.
Intent to Submit Form
The RIT Intent to Submit Form must be completed when a sponsor allows only one proposal submission by the Institute. In such cases, the Institute will have established an internal deadline for review of multiple proposals. Prior to submission of the form to SRS, the Department Head and Dean's signatures are required. The form should be submitted to SRS at least four weeks prior to the sponsor proposal submission deadline.
If cost sharing is required, monies and in-kind support must be obtained before your proposal is submitted. Any commitment from the Institute or College over $10,000 requires a meeting with the Provost and/or Dean. Requests for Institute cost sharing must be accompanied by the Request for Institute Cost Sharing Form.