When you are ready to submit your proposal to a sponsor, you
should discuss submission procedures with the SRS Senior Research
(SRA) assigned to your college or unit. The SRA will help you
finalize the budget, will review all internal and external (funding
will obtain the final RIT authorizing
signatures, and will submit the proposal for you.
Before submitting a proposal to a sponsor, an internal review of the
proposal must take place. You should
allow sufficient time for review of your proposal and to obtain internal
signatures. The procedure is as follows:
- Complete the RIT Proposal
- Obtain the appropriate signatures:
- Principal Investigator
- Co-principal Investigator(s)
- Dean(s), Department head(s), and/or director(s)
- Chairperson, Institutional Review Board (for proposals involving
- Environmental Health Manager (for proposals involving chemical
materials, hazardous wastes, radiation/laser energy)
- Submit proposal with the Proposal Review Form to SRS.
- SRS reviews proposal for accuracy and compliance with institute
and sponsor guidelines.
- SRS obtains the following signatures:
- Provost, or other authorizing official
- Associate Provost for Outreach if proposal is designated First-In-Class
- SRS photocopies and mails the proposal
(or advises Principal Investigator to submit electronically).
- The proposal guidelines from the funding
agency will specify how and where the proposal is to be submitted.
While many agencies now require
or encourage electronic submission of proposals, many still
require that proposals be submitted in paper format. The
SRA for your
college or unit will work with you to assure that your proposal
is submitted correctly, and in a timely fashion.
Certain programs have a two-step proposal process, with
a five to ten page letter of intent, white paper, or pre-proposal required
screening before a full proposal can be submitted. If this is a requirement,
please have the pre-proposal reviewed under the Pre-Proposal
Review Form. This is reviewed and signed by the PI, Co-PIs, Department Head
Your SRA will work with you to develop an initial budget as necessary.
Intent to Submit Form
The RIT Intent to Submit
Form must be completed when a sponsor allows only one proposal submission
by the Institute. In such cases, the Institute will have established an internal
deadline for review of multiple proposals. Prior to submission of the form to
SRS, the Department Head and Dean's signatures are required. The form should
be submitted to SRS at least four weeks prior to the sponsor proposal submission
If cost sharing is required, monies and in-kind support
must be obtained before your proposal is submitted. Any commitment
from the Institute or College over $10,000 requires a meeting with the
and/or Dean. Requests for Institute cost sharing must be accompanied
by the Request for
Institute Cost Sharing Form.
Last Edited: 2003-12-11 ac