Because VMS is almost entirely a volunteer service, we need your help in tracking meetings and advice. In exchange for receiving mentoring services, please provide the following to the VMS Coordinator, Jane Tibbitts via e-mail at email@example.com.
- When scheduling meetings with your mentors, prepare and submit a short agenda covering the anticipated topics to be covered.
- Submit a short meeting summary including action items after each VMS session. Feedback is also requested but not required.
- Provide a brief company update (e.g., milestones reached, major customers, investments, etc.) and send to the VMS Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org every two months.
- For all correspondence, include your company name and VMS (as well as topic) in the subject of your e-mail.
Here are a few guidelines:
- In most cases, the timing of the next meeting will be determined by you and your progress.
- When you contact the VMS Coordinator to request scheduling a meeting, please prepare a short list of the agenda items you would like to cover at that meeting.
- The finalized agenda must be provided to the VMS Coordinator and your mentor team at least three days prior to your meeting to assist them in preparing their thoughts. You may also include any additional materials you believe would be useful.
- The number of mentor sessions you hold will depend on your stage of company, current needs, and agreements with your mentor team.
- A sample agenda template is available for download from the RIT VMS website.
Submit the meeting summary within 24 hours of the meeting to your mentor team and the VMS Coordinator via e-mail at email@example.com.
- Include a list of the participants at the meeting.
- Detailed minutes of the meeting are not required. Just describe the major topics and issues that were covered and any critical items that arose in discussion.
- List your homework assignments or any “To Do” items, including any for the mentors or VMS.
- Don’t worry about your prose, an outline or bullet points are just fine. Most summaries will be ½ to ¾ of a page.
- A sample meeting summary template is available for download from the RIT VMS website.
Please also send any comments/suggestions for improvement to the VMS Coordinator via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would really appreciate receiving your feedback. This helps us in our efforts to ensure we are providing you with a high quality of service. Your comments will not be included with your meeting notes. Instead, they will be kept separately and confidentially within the VMS office for use in helping us to evaluate and improve our services. If you have shared any of your comments with your mentor team for improving the process, please indicate so.
- Rate the meeting on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the best.
- Comment on what you liked and/or what you found most helpful.
- Comment on what you didn't like and/or what you would change.
- Provide any additional thoughts, comments, or suggestions.
As stated in the Rules for Participating Entrepreneurs, VMS expects a brief company report at least every two months. If your status changes, please inform your lead mentor. If communication has lapsed, your lead mentor or the VMS staff will check in with you periodically regarding your status and your progress. We expect you to respond to these inquiries in a timely fashion, even if your response is just to let us know that you are busy right now or not in need of VMS services at the moment. We also expect you to let us know when you need us and what kind of help you need. Please don’t wait for us to contact you. We encourage you to email or call with questions, meeting requests, other needs, and concerns as they come up. We will make every effort to respond in a timely and helpful fashion. Of course, if you give us some lead time, it’s easier to make sure that we can set up a meeting or help in other ways.