Video games as a medium go back more than 50 years to mainframe computers. Even the central design of video games can be traced back to the first games themselves. To be a good game designer, it’s essential to have an understanding of the video game design industry’s fascinating history.
We’ve partnered with The Strong National Museum of Play to give you a unique look into the history of all things video game. The International Center for the History of Electronic Games at The Strong is the largest and most comprehensive public assemblage of video games and related materials in the world. The staff are celebrated experts in the eld and the ICHEG is visited by scholars of video games from around the world. You’ll gain amazing insight into the history of video games with a guided exploration of key artifacts from the collection of more than 100,000 electronic games and materials.
You will learn:
- Where the first video games came from
- How video games connect to pinball
- Why the industry crashed in the 80’s
- When Virtual Reality (VR) first appeared in the industry
- How the games of the past chart a path to the future of gaming
- Price $49 for verified track. No charge for audit.
Offering is offered on edX (can be taken alone or as part of the XSeries)
- GAME102x: Video Game Design and Balance (0 credits)
- GAME103x: Video Game Asset Creation and Process (0 credits)
- GAME104x: Video Game Design: Teamwork & Collaboration (0 credits)
- GAME105x: Gameplay Programming for Video Game Designers (0 credits)
- Request Information