RIT Information Security Alert --
Why am I receiving this message?
You may have seen official information recently that RIT will be performing upgrades to the email service. Conincidently, RIT email users have received a couple of phishing attacks that mimic an RIT official messages.
If you've received a message with the Subject Line: Admin Account Warning-0108 or with no subject line but referencing unauthorized use of your email account, please delete it.
How do I know this is a phishing attempt?
- ITS does not send out emails with links to Outlook Webmail.
- You'll note that the link included in the email does not link to an RIT address, although it's very similar. (We've removed the link from this example.)
- The phish uses a common technique of trying to impart a sense of urgency and trying to get you to supply the requested information quickly. (If RIT was making a change of this magnitude, you would have received information through RIT Message Center, among other official channels.
- For more information about Phishing, please visit the RIT Information Security Phishing page.
What is RIT doing to protect me?
- RIT is working to block the phishing/malware attacks from reaching RIT e-mail accounts.
- myMail.rit.edu has not been compromised.
- McAfee VirusScan with up-to-date virus definitions will protect against viruses and many other threats that may be associated with phishing emails. (Antivirus software is available free to RIT students, faculty, and staff for home use fromhttp://www.rit.edu/its/
- MySpam will block many of these phishing e-mails. However, senders actively modify messages to avoid spam traps like Brightmail, and that allows a few to slip through.
What can I do to protect myself?
Delete the e-mail. If you clicked on the link, change your password NOW, scan your systems for viruses and spyware, and report the situation to your Help Desk (SCOB, NTID, ITS).
Visit the RIT Information Security Phishing page at http://www.rit.edu/security/
REMEMBER: RIT will NEVER ask for your password through e-mail.