Printers often handle RIT Confidential information, but they can easily be overlooked when securing a network. Use the following best practices to secure any printers you support:
- Update the firmware.
- Assign a password for web access to the printer.
- Change the SNMP community strings. (These are the equivalent of printer "passwords." "Public" and "private" are the defaults and are widely known.)
- Disable any unused protocols. (Do you really need Novell IPX enabled, etc?)
- If possible, change the default TCP port from 9100 to another port number. (Specific exploits target the default port and may cause the printers to print blank pages. However, ... ...
Forms, Checklists, and Templates
Many forms and checklists below are provided as Adobe PDF Fill-in forms and can be filled in and printed from Acrobat Reader.
To request an exception from an RIT Security Standard (PDF Fill-In form)
Optional NDA used at
This section of the website contains links to tools and documentation specifically for use by administrators. Scroll to the bottom of the page to access these resources.
What are my responsibilities as an administrator?
You are responsible for ensuring that all web resources, computers, servers, network devices, and any other types of computing devices that you support comply with all published standards.
You are also responsible for prompt reporting of computer incidents to the ISO in accordance with the Computer Incident Handling Standard.
Computer Incident Handling Resources
- Report a Computer ... ...
Wireless networks are generally considered to be less secure than wired networks; however, with proper configuration and encryption enabled, they can provide more than adequate security for most users. Read our Accessing Wireless Networks Safely Brochure to learn more and better protect your privacy.
Wireless at RIT
RIT offers four different wireless networks across campus:
- RIT - An encrypted WPA2 network and the preferred network for all devices. Devices using this network must be registered using RIT account credentials.
- RIT-Guest - An open public network ... ...