Information about gender identity and sexual and romantic orientations.
What is alphabet soup?
Have you ever heard LGBT or GLBT and wondered what it meant?
LGBT stands for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender.
Pretty basic, so far...
In order to make this term more inclusive, some people may add extra letters to this acronym. You may see:
- LGBTQ — lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer
- LGBTQA — lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, asexual
- LGBTQIA — lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual
And if we add these identities, we need to keep adding letters to make sure we don't leave anyone out — by this point, we have an acronym that is longer than the alphabet! Here is a list of some sexual orientations and gender identities that are most commonly used:
So which is right!?
There is no right answer but to be inclusive, you can try:
- Queer (used as an umbrella term)
- GSM (Gender & Sexual Minorities)
- GSD (Gender & Sexual Diversity)