For the 2013-2014 academic year, we are planning a number of events. Here are the details about the ones we are planning!
"Color RIT Green" Week!
Saturday, April 19, 2014 - Saturday, April 26, 2014
SEAL is pairing up with the environmentally-minded NTID Student Congress students to put on a fun and educational event-filled week around Earth Day! Here are a list of the events the team will be hosting:
- Sustainable Carnival
- 11am-5pm; Saturday, April 19, 2014; Greek Lawn
- Kick off Earth Week with a huge carnival! There is a lot of value in the things we recycle... we've created an entire carnival using upcycled materials! Don't miss out on the games, booths, and prizes!
- Cardboard Craze
- 3pm-5pm; Monday, April 21, 2014; 1st Floor of Student Development Center
- Come see just how many cool, functional items can be repurposed from recyclable materials, such as cardboard and plastic bottles. Build your own item and bring it home, too!
- Soda Bottle Planters
- 11am-2pm; Tuesday, April 22, 2014; Sundial and Gracie's Lobby
- Come get some planters made from recycled materials! Plants are included!
- DIY Activities
- 1pm-4pm; Wednesday, April 23, 2014; Fireside Lounge
- Come try out some DIY projects that are cheap! Reusing materials helps the environment by reducing your footprint.
- Electronics Recycling
- 12pm-4pm; Wednesday, April 23, 2014; Sentinel
- Bring your old, broken, or unused electronic devices to be recycled. Electronic devices cannot be recycled with other standard recyclables. This is because electronic devices contain materials harmful to the environment, and must be disposed of in different ways.
- Environmental Film Screening
- 8pm-11pm; Thursday, April 24, 2014; Greek Lawn
- Stop by and watch a film about a relevant environmental topic! Come for the movie, stay for the trail mix!
- Green PHH
- 4pm-6pm; Friday, April 25, 2014; Ellingson Quad
- Stop by our table in the quad to learn about organic food compared to generic food, as well as the alternative energy challenge!
- Tiger Clean-up
- 10am; Saturday, April 26, 2014; Sentinel
- Help clean up the campus by participating in this event! We will be cleaning up invasive species on campus.
- Green or Bust
- 8pm-11pm; Saturday, April 26, 2014; Al Davis Room
- Join us as we bring Color RIT Green Week to a close! We will have a runway for students modeling clothes made of recycled materials.
SEAL Exhibit at ImagineRIT
Saturday, May 3, 2014 — Gordon Field House
SEAL is planning to have an exhibit at the campus-wide ImagineRIT event this May. Stop by for some educational, family-friendly fun!
St. Patrick's Day Bake Sale
On St. Patrick's Day, SEAL students sold vegan baked goods to students on campus in order to spread a little knowledge about how small changes can positively impact the environment! Vegan cookies and other treats were sold, as was information about how vegan alternatives can benefit the environment.
America Recycles Day
On November 15th (America Recycles Day), RIT SEAL teamed up with RIT's Recover Rochester to form the Green Team! The green team was around campus trying to catch students green-handed (doing something environmentally friendly)!
SEAL hosts this event during most academic years. Students, faculty, staff, and Rochester citizens are encouraged to bring their old electronics to RIT to be recycled safely. We are able to gather several thousand pounds worth of electronics and stop them from entering local landfills. That's a lot of trash! Browse the album to the left to see pictures from this event.
How many recyclables are thrown out in the trash? SEAL sifted through typical RIT trash to find out. Browse the album to the left to see pictures from this event.
In the 2007-2008 academic year, SEAL hosted a game show event to test the environmental knowledge of RIT students. Browse the album to the left to see pictures from this event.
Repurposed Fashion Show
In the 2007-2008 academic year, SEAL hosted a unique version of the TV series Project Runway. In the new, environmentally-conscious version, participants created outfits out of post-consumer products. Browse the album to the left to see pictures from this event.
International Coastal Cleanup
SEAL members volunteered in the International Coastal Cleanup Program. These members teamed up with other people and helped clean up nearby coasts. Browse the album to the left to see pictures from this event.
Dorm Upcycling Challenge
SEAL asked dorm-dwellers to upcycle common recyclable materials into interesting works of art! Take a look at what these creative RIT students came up with! Browse the album to the left to see pictures from this event.
RIT students were able to participate in fun recycling-themed games!
Although SEAL did not host Recyclemania, we support the efforts of the Recycling Department at RIT who organized Recyclemania!
Have an idea for an event?
Let us know! Send us an email, write on our Facebook page, or Tweet at us! We are excited to hear all ideas!