Student Employment: Recreation
Fitness Center Attendants
Provide service to all fitness participants and oversee the daily operations of the fitness center. Ensure a safe, clean, and friendly workout environment.
- Supervise the Weidman Fitness Center activities and equipment.
- Provide instruction regarding equipment use, spot lifters, clean equipment, record/report equipment and facility problems, respond to accidents/injuries, provide equipment loan-out, enforce rules, and monitor the use of equipment for the safety of all patrons
- Open and close the facility according to proper procedures
- Attend training workshops
- Manage TV, cardio-theater, and music
- Be proactive when responding to questions, concerns, and suggestions
- Consistent user of the fitness center and knowledgeable of all fitness center policies
- Able to demonstrate how to use various types of equipment using proper form and techniques
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Must have or acquire CPR/AED certification
Applications will be posted outside the SLC Main Office. Applications for the fall and summer semesters are available during week 12 of the spring semester. Applications for the spring semester are available during week 12 of the fall semester. An application, professional resume and cover letter should be returned to the SLC Main Office by the due date on the application. If selected, applicants will be contacted by phone during week 13 to schedule an interview during week 14.
Fitness Center Supervisor
Only current Fitness Center Attendants with one year of experience and high performance appraisals will be considered for this position.
Supervise the Judson-Hale Aquatics Center (competition pool, recreation pool, diving pool and spa) to ensure the safety of all participants. Provide education and water safety training through our children's swim lesson program.
- Monitor participant sign in at the aquatics center.
- Ensure the safety of all participants at all times in all bodies of water in the aquatics center.
- Utilize effective rescue techniques and administer first aid when needed.
- Test pool chemical levels on a daily basis.
- Be knowledgeable in the use of all pool emergency equipment (AED, shepherds hook, ring buoy, rescue tube, back board, head immobilizer, first aid kit, etc.).
- Be steadfast in enforcing rules and tactful in handling problems.
- Report all injuries to Public Safety and fill out incident reports.
- In case of fire alarm, evacuate all personnel through the west doors of the aquatics center.
- Lock up facility at the end of shift.
- Lifeguard training card or equivalent, First Aid and CPR Professional certificates.
- Blood borne Pathogen and AED training certifications.
- Must pass written and water test administered by an RIT Water Safety instructor.
- Dependable, responsible and mature with good communication skills.
Applications will be posted outside the SLC Main Office. Applications for the fall and summer semesters are available during week 12 of the spring semester. Applications for the spring semester are available during week 12 of the fall semester. Complete the form and return it to the SLC Main Office with copies of all required certificates attached.
Only a current Lifeguard with at least one year of experience will be considered for this position.
Recreation/Equipment Cage Attendant
To monitor access to the recreational facilities and to assist in the operations management of the buildings. To manage the Equipment Cage and provide recreational support services (lockers, sport equipment, towels, information) to valid users and groups.
- Monitor the electronic ID card reader and turnstile and check picture ID’s for proper identification.
- Sell guest passes to proper RIT sponsored guests.
- Respond to door alarms that sound in designated areas of the building.
- Open and supervise the building Monday through Friday mornings 5:45am-9am before the full-time staff arrives.
- Employee will work other hours throughout the day as assigned (not to exceed 20 hours per week).
- Monitor a variety of computer applications including Innosoft Fusion (Member Management), Alarm Monitoring (facility access), EMS (facility reservations) and Shift Planning (Employee Scheduling).
- Distribute information and answer questions about facility hours, programs, personnel, equipment, lockers and departmental policies.
- Employee will be responsible for loan out of equipment for wellness, intramural and recreational use.
- Manage day to day laundry service (including towel service).
- Record daily racquetball and indoor tennis reservations and keep accurate “customer contact” figures.
- Monitor the building intercom, alarm panel and security camera system.
- Handle extra assignments given by our staff.
- Enforce all recreation department rules.
- Desired applicants possess personable attitude and good communication skills and are dependable, reliable, and responsible.
- Familiarity with Field House facilities, Student Life Center facilities and offices is preferred.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Strong communication skills preferred.
Applications will be posted outside the SLC Main Office during week 11 and collected through week 13. Elevator interviews will be offered to all interested applicants curing week 12 and week 13. Successful candidates from that process will be called back for formal interviews during week 14.
Only current Recreation/Equipment Cage Attendants with at least one year of experience and high performance appraisals will be considered for this position.
Only current Building Supervisors with at least one year of experience and high performance appraisals will be considered for this position.
SLC Office Assistant
Provide customer service at front office for memberships, locker rentals, reservation requests and general office tasks.
- Customer service at front desk, greeting customers and answering phones
- Membership and locker rentals
- Reservation requests
- Copying, filing, sorting mail and making deliveries
- Provide support for office staff
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Strong customer service skills and phone etiquette
- Good computer skills must know Microsoft Office and Excel
- Friendly, courteous and willingness to help
When a position is available, applications for the fall and summer semesters will be available at the SLC Main Office during week 12 of the spring semester. Applications for the spring semester are available during week 12 of the fall semester. An application, professional resume and cover letter should be delivered to the SLC Main Office by the due date on the application. If selected, applicants will be contacted by phone to schedule an interview.
Summer Maintenance Employee
To assist with the annual repair and upkeep of indoor/outdoor facilities.
- Repair jogging trails and spread wood chips.
- Paint offices, meeting rooms, hallways, locker rooms, and other areas as needed.
- Assist Assistant Director in annual maintenance.
- Clean storage areas throughout the Center.
- Repair and maintain fields.
- Move furniture and/or equipment as requested by staff.
- Provide support in setting up for special events.
- Assist in receiving and storing deliveries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Residential or commercial painting experience.
- General knowledge of common tools.
- Experience performing manual labor.
Applications will be posted outside the SLC Main Office. Applications will be collected and reviewed throughout weeks 11, 12 and 13 of Spring Semester. Selected candidates will be called for interviews beginning Week 13 of Spring Semester. Interviews will be conducted throughout Week 14 and 15.