Site-wide links


Request Accommodation - For Students New to the Disability Services Office

The Disability Services Office is committed to providing equal access to programs, services and physical facilities to students with disabilities. Students who would like to request academic and/or residential accommodation due to a disability should submit a request and documentation of the disability. The Director will review the request and supporting documentation and recommend appropriate and reasonable accommodations as needed.

RIT does not provide or coordinate personal services. Students need to make their own arrangements for mobility training, personal care assistants and personal adaptive equipment. Tutoring is not considered an accommodation; there are various academic support opportunities available within RIT for all students.

To request accommodations due to a disability, please submit a completed Disability Services Request Form and documentation to the RIT Disability Services Office. Refer to the documentation guidelines for additional information.

Disability Services Request Form Online
Disability Services Request Form for Deaf Students with Additional Disabilities Online

Please submit requests and documentation to the Disability Services Office; do not send disability information intended to serve as documentation to Admissions, Student Health or other departments within RIT or NTID.

Rochester Institute of Technology
Disability Services Office
28 Lomb Memorial Drive
Student Alumni Union, Room 1150
Rochester, New York 14623-5604
(585) 475-2215 fax

Housing Modifications

Students requesting accommodations regarding housing must submit a completed request form and documentation to the RIT Disability Services Office AND submit a housing contract to RIT Housing Operations by the following dates:

  • May 1 – requests for fall term
  • October 16 - requests for intersession
  • December 1 – requests for spring term
  • April 1 – requests for summer term

Service and Assistance Animals

For the RIT policy on Service Animals, Assistance Animals, and pets on campus please visit this link.

Resources for Faculty/Staff

Some students with disabilities use “academic accommodations” in order to equally access the academic information presented and/or produce evidence of learning or competence in their academic programs. It is often said that the use of accommodations “levels the playing field” for students with disabilities.

A “Disability Services Agreement” (DSA) letter is a list of recommended academic accommodations developed by the Disability Services Director for each student who has been offered academic accommodations. The Disability Services Office will distribute an electronic copy of each student's DSA to faculty members each term, verifying that the student has worked with the Disability Services Office and is recognized by RIT as a student with a disability who requires accommodation.

If a student requests accommodations from a faculty but does not produce a “Disability Services Agreement”, faculty should encourage the student to contact the Disability Services Office. Faculty are requested to not exempt the student from going through the proper procedures by making individual arrangements with students.

Faculty are expected to work with the student to determine how to put the listed accommodations into practice. Faculty are requested to:

  • Acknowledge receipt of each DSA emailed to them.
  • Read the DSA (a PDF attached to each DSA email); accommodations and procedures are listed and explained.
  • Have a conversation with the student about how to put the listed accommodations into practice. Ideally, this is student initiated. Students may not be comfortable discussing their accommodations in front of others; offer to speak with them privately or during office hours.
  • Respect students' desire to keep their disability information confidential.
  • Know that faculty are only obligated to provide the accommodations that are listed.
  • Contact Susan Ackerman, Disability Services Director, for more information. 475-6988

Some common academic accommodations and how to work with students who use them:

If a student needs extended time to complete tests and exams:
The student and faculty should discuss the logistics of where, when and how exams should take place. The student may require the use of the test center, a proctored setting located in the Student Alumni Union, room 1150, or the faculty may have another suitable arrangement. Please note that some students may require the use of the testing center if they need the services of a reader, scribe or use of a word processor. Some students may require the "distraction reduced" environment and will indicate this.

If a student needs the use of a word processor for tests and exams:
In most cases, the student will need to take a test in the test center in order to use MS Word or notepad on our computers.

If a student needs the use of reading software or scribe for tests and exams:
In most cases, the student will need to take a test in the test center in order to access these services. We have computers with a “text to speech” software program that students use with headphones. If a scribe is required, a trained student proctor will write or type exactly what the test taker indicates as their answer. Our supervised, trained student employees will act as a scribe to record verbatim student responses to test questions.

If a student needs the use of a basic, 4 function calculator for tests or exams:
The student should have access to a basic, 4 function calculator if it is listed on their DSA; this overrides department "no calculator" policies. The calculator is to be provided by the student.

If a student needs the use of a “formula card" for tests and exams:
A “formula card” is a list of mathematical formulas to be used by the student during the test if the Instructor believes doing so will not fundamentally alter the objectives or essential requirements of the test or course. It is not a list of definitions and does not provide examples of use. The Instructor will approve the appropriateness of the content for each specific test prior to the test.
Rationale: Due to a disability, this student cannot consistently hold mathematical formulas in memory while completing calculations.

If a student needs extended time to complete assignments or projects:
For assignments or individual (not group) projects student will be given up to two days extra to submit work unless doing so would alter the planned sequence of activities for course. At the beginning of the term, or when assignment is given instructor and student will discuss feasibility and implications of extension. Instructor and student will agree upon due date and method of submission.