Site-wide links


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Disability Services Office
    Rochester Institute of Technology
    Student Alumni Union, rm 1155
    28 Lomb Memorial Drive
    Rochester, NY 14623-5604
  • Our fax number is: 585-475-2215
  • To request accommodations, please submit an online or hard copy request form.
  • Submitted documentation should verify that a disability exists and present information about how the disability affects the student’s current level of functioning. It is dependent upon the type of disability, but quite often is a recently done psychoeducational evaluation or a descriptive letter from a physician. Please see our Documentation page for more information.
  • The accommodations offered here at RIT depend on the type of disability and the modifications RIT considers required due to the disability. We are committed to providing reasonable and appropriate accommodations to ensure equal access that are within the boundaries of the law. RIT has no obligation to provide accommodations previously provided by outside entities.
  • To request an accommodation regarding housing, please submit a "Disability Services Request Form" to the Disability Services Office AND be sure to also submit a housing contract to Housing Operations, by the following dates:
    • May 1 - requests for fall semester
    • October 16 - requests for intersession
    • January 1 - requests for spring semester
    • April 1 - requests for summer term

    If this request is submitted after the housing deadline, any accommodation that is offered may be considered “pending availability.”

  • No, the Disability Services Office does not share specific information about a student’s disability with faculty and staff. The Disability Services Office maintains and secures all files. The Disability Services Office will distribute an electronic copy of your Disability Services Agreement (DSA) to each of your instructors each term. The DSA lists the recommended academic accommodations, but does not indicate information about the disability.
  • No, once a student is registered with Disability Services, there is no need to resubmit the request or documentation. The Disability Services Agreement (DSA) will be distributed to each of your instructors each term. However, if different accommodations are needed, then additional documentation may be required. Please feel free to discuss your accommodation needs with the DSO at any time.
  • Please visit the Job Seekers with Disabilities page on the RIT Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services site.
  • If you are a cross-registered RIT/NTID student and need interpreters, notetakers, and/or C-print in your classes, you can request these through the NTID’s Department of Access Services. You do not need to register with DSO in order to receive these services.

    If you are an NTID student (not cross-registered) in an Associate-level program, your faculty members will facilitate communication in the classroom and will communicate directly with you using a variety of communication strategies, which may include sign language, spoken language (FM systems are available), fingerspelling, printed/visual aids, Web-based instructional materials and individual tutoring.

  • The Spectrum Support Program is a resource offered to students with Autism Spectrum Disorder to assist them in the initial transition to college life and support their continued success. See the website for more information, as well as the annual pre-orientation program “Gearing Up for Success.”
  • The Spectrum Support Program offers a pre-orientation program, “Gearing Up for Success,” which is targeted at students on the autism spectrum.

    Any of the DiscoveRIT pre-orientation programs can be a great way for new students to get connected to campus, faculty, staff, and RIT resources. There are a variety of fun specialty programs offered each year, so check the website to see if one is right for you.

    Some students (with or without disabilities) find “Quest for Success” to be helpful in identifying resources at RIT and transitioning to college.