Social Security is the US government's social insurance plan. It is intended to benefit retired people and certain people who are injured, disabled, or left without adequate means of financial support. It is financed by means of withholdings from employees pay and employers contributions. Virtually all Americans have a "Social Security number" which designates their account with the Social Security Administration, The social security number is also used when filing taxes and performing other critical functions.
13, 2004, new Social Security Administration regulations took
effect governing Social Security Numbers (SSN) for individuals
on international student visas. Such individuals must now have
a job offer, or be working, before applying for a SSN. Therefore,
RIT has adjusted its hiring process for these students.
- Students who receive a job offer must complete the employment verification process, in person, at the Student Employment Office.
- To get your SEO Employment Eligibility Card you need to:
- Bring a filled out Employment Verification Form to the Student Employment Office located in the University Services Center (Building 87) behind Crossroads - Monday - Friday, 8:30 - 4:30
- Fill out an I-9 form - US federal form for employment eligibility verification
- Needed for the I-9 form is original documentation to prove who you are and that you can work in the United States - a list of acceptable documents can be found here. You must bring one document from List A or one document from List B and List C. All documents must be original. Copies, faxes, or scanned documents cannot be accepted.
- Department gives student the Hire Form
and directs student to International Student Services (ISS).
- A Social Security Request Letter will be provided to students who bring their Hire Form to International Student Services.
- Student brings Social Security Letter, Hire Form, Passport, I-20 or IAP-66 to the Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security Number.
Directions to Social Security Administration Office
- SEO will process new hire paperwork to facilitate payroll
- Paychecks will be sent to ISS for pickup by students until
they obtain their SSN.
- Student picks up SSN card in the ISS office.
- Student informs Registrar's Office of SSN.
new process, international students who have an SEO Eligibility
Card may now be immediately hired and paid, but they must follow
the critical steps above to remain on the Payroll without interruption.