Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

International Student Services

Button to open mobile menu Button to open mobile search

Site-wide links

I-94 Procedure

On April 30, 2013 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) launched a new automated I-94 Arrival and Departure Record System. Under the new system students who are departing or entering the U.S. via air or seaports will no longer receive a paper I-94 card.

Students arriving or departing via U.S. land border ports of entry will continue to receive the paper form I-94 cards.

What does this mean for you?
There will be no change in your ability to enter or depart the U.S. A CBP officer will scan your passport, generating an electronic arrival record with data elements found on the current paper Form I-94. CBP will make the electronic I-94 available at

Entry and Departure
A CBP officer will stamp the travel document of each arriving non-immigrant traveler. The admission stamp will show the date of admission, class of admission, and the date until which the traveler is admitted. Travelers will also receive on arrival a flyer alerting them to go to for their admission record information.

You do not need to print out your I-94 in order to depart or enter the U.S.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get copy of my I-94 record?

CBP has set up a website where you will be able to access and print out your I-94 Arrival and Departure record if you need it. Please visit

You will need your passport and the following information to obtain your electronic I-94:

·         Family Name (Last Name)
·         Given Name (First Name)
·         Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
·         Passport Number
·         Country of Passport Issuance
·         Last Date of Entry into the U.S.
·         Current Visa Status (F1 or J1)

What do I do with my paper I-94?

Upon your departure you should submit your paper I-94 to the air or sea carrier or CBP officer. If you were previously issued an electronic I-94 your new travel information will be electronically uploaded from information obtained by your air/sea carrier or the CBP.

What do I do if my F-1 visa is expired?

CBP will verify the I-94 electronically to re-validate an expired visa if the traveler meets the conditions of automatic revalidation.

If entry occurred prior to automation, a paper form must be presented in order to comply with validation requirements.

Do I still need my I-94 information to apply for benefits?

Yes. CBP will scan a traveler’s passport, generating an electronic arrival record with data elements found on the current paper Form I-94. CBP will make the electronic I-94 available at  Travelers may visit this website to print their electronic I-94 number before applying for immigration or public benefits, such as a driver’s license or a Social Security number. Several benefit granting agencies are currently updating their forms and policies to integrate the new electronic I-94 regulations.

·         Practical Training
·         Driver’s license
·         Social Security Number

If I lose my paper I-94 can I still apply to get a new one?

Yes. You may apply for a new I-94 by using the I-102 Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document.

Back To Top Arrow