Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


As an international student who has been in the United States during the 2016 calendar year, you will need to file one or more tax forms in the spring of 2017. Tax laws that apply to internationals are not the same as those that apply to U.S. citizens and/or permanent residents. International students who are filing tax forms for the first time often find it to be a very confusing process. While we are not tax experts, we do want to assist you with this responsibility. The deadline for filing tax forms for the 2016 tax year is April 18, 2017.

** Quick Overview of Federal Tax Filing for RIT International Students **

Please note that the free tax software and other tax resources for students filing their tax forms in the spring of 2017 is not yet available. An email from International Student Services will be sent to all enrolled RIT international students as well as those on OPT when this site has been updated with 2017 tax filing information.

FREE Federal Tax Preparation Software


International Student Services has purchased online tax preparation software for RIT international students called Glacier Tax Prep (GTP).  The software provides everything non-residents need to file their federal tax forms all in one place.

How much does it cost?
RIT international students may use the software for FREE

How do I access the program?
In one of two ways:

  1. If you have a GLACIER account (because you are an on-campus employee) you will receive an email from the RIT Payroll Office with instructions. As explained in that email, you will simply access GLACIER using your existing User ID and Password, and GLACIER will transfer certain data directly into GLACIER Tax Prep. This will make your tax preparation very easy!
  2. If you did not have access to GLACIER during 2015, ISS will provide you with a GTP access code and login information. Please send an email with "Please send me a GTP access code" in the Subject to and the information you need will be emailed to you.

How Does it Work?
The software asks students a series of questions and based on the answers determines things like:
•    If you are really a non-resident for tax purposes
•    Which tax returns or other tax forms are necessary to complete
•    If there is a tax treaty that might apply for you
•    If an ITIN is necessary

How Long Does it Take?
It typically takes 15 – 20 minutes to complete.

What if I have questions?
You may do one or all of the following:

  • Watch the Tutorial Video
  • Find the answers in the FAQ section
  • Ask the GTP Support Team questions via email

What do I do after going through the software program?
You will print out the forms and mail them to the address provided. There are complete instructions on the final page of Glacier Tax Prep.

New York State Tax Forms


In addition to filing federal tax forms, many international students will need to file New York State tax forms. The Glacier Tax Prep software does not help you complete these state forms, but it will inform you if a state tax form is necessary. It is important to remember that in order to file your New York State tax forms, you must first complete a federal form.

The following resources are available to help you with your state tax forms:

  • Sprintax      
    Sprintax is an online software that allows you to file your state tax return as a non-resident. Live chat and toll free assistance are available 24/7. The cost of filing a New York State tax return is $25.95. ISS will provide RIT international students with a code for a $3.00 discount.
  • Outside Vendors (see Paying an Outside Vendor to Have Your Tax Forms Completed below)


Other State Tax Forms

Please note: State taxes vary by the state where income was earned during the tax year and forms must be filed separately for each state. If you did a co-op in another state you may need to complete a tax form for that state.

  • Link to State Tax Forms
  • Sprintax NOT YET AVAILABLE (for a fee) can be used to file tax forms for any state in the United States
Paying an Outside Vendor to Have Your Tax Forms Completed

Some students decide to hire a professional tax preparer to file their taxes. This is often a good option for students who are unable to use Glacier Tax Prep, students who have complicated tax issues, or those who would simply prefer to have a professional complete their tax forms for them.

Below are links to very reputable tax firms students may turn to for help in preparing both resident and non-resident tax forms.

Turbo Tax Warning

International students who are NON-residents for tax purposes should NOT file tax returns using TURBO-tax because it does not complete the NON-resident forms for you. Most of the tax software programs advertised online do not offer assistance in completing non-resident tax forms.

Students Who Didn't Earn Any Money in the U.S. in 2015/Form 8843

If you did not receive any income at all in the U.S. in the 2016 tax year (January 1st - December 31st), you still need to fill out a Form 8843, which records your presence in the U.S. The form does not have to be sent in until June 15th.


How to Replace an RIT W-2 Form

If you haven't graduated, you may print a copy of your RIT W-2 form by logging into If you have not set up your myinfo account, the process is easy:                                          

  • Go to
  • Enter username:  ritstudent
  • Enter password:  tiger123
  • Create your own username & password by following the prompts.  (You’ll need your PAY STUB to access your employee number* and the exact spelling of your name in the payroll system.) *Your employee number is the first five digits of your Kronos punch in number.
  • Go to and log in with your new user name and password.
  • Click on the RIT Student Self Service link.
  • Click on the self-service option you need.
  • Follow prompts to set up direct deposit, access your pay slip, update tax withholding, reprint your W2 and more!

If you have graduated call the Payroll Office for help at 585-475-2381 or 585-475-2382

If you worked for another employer, you will need to contact the company for a copy of your W-2 form.

Filing For an Extension of Time to File Tax Forms

If you need to request more time to complete your federal or state tax forms you must do so by the tax filing deadline, April 15, 2016.

Residents for Tax Purposes

If the Glacier Tax Prep software has determined that you are a resident for tax purposes you may use Turbo Tax, TaxAct or any of the other software programs available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Residents for tax purposes may also find help through the free C.A.S.H.  Income Tax Assistance Program. There is a C.A.S.H. site close to the RIT campus:

Kohls/Ollie's Plaza in Henrietta (next to Lumber Liquidators)
3150 W. Henrietta Road
Rochester, NY  14623
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday: 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Closed on Wednesdays and on March 25 & 26

The site is open until April 15, 2016. You may schedule an appointment  by calling (585) 242-6485. Walk-ins are welcome as time allows, and no more than one hour before the site closes.

Additional Sources of Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions about Taxes

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - federal forms

1-800-829-3676 (forms & publications)

1-800-829-1040 (advice)

255 East Ave., Rochester, NY

Foreign Students and Scholars Information on IRS Website

NY State


229 Monroe Ave., Rochester, NY

Frequently Asked Questions About Taxes

Click the button below for a list of answers to tax questions frequently asked by RIT international students.

Back To Top Arrow