Family Orientation is August 16-17. Family Orientation is intended to introduce families to their student’s academic program, the resources and services at RIT, and life on campus. While there are many events and programs for students and families to attend together during the day on Tuesday, students will begin New Student Orientation separate from parents beginning on Tuesday evening. The full schedule and registration information will be available in June. Please note that times and details are subject to change and families will receive a hard copy when they check in.
Selected highlights of the Family Orientation schedule include:
- Tiger Welcome Picnic—Enjoy a picnic dinner with your student before attending separate parent and student orientation session. Registration required—$15/family member; no charge for RIT students.
- Becoming an RIT Parent—Parenting a college student will be different than parenting a high school student, and we’re here to help you make the transition. Join Dr. Chelsea Petree, Director of Parent and Family Programs, and a team of students to learn how to best support your Tiger.
- Meet and Mingle with President Destler—Enjoy a chance to mingle with RIT’s President, Dr. William Destler. Meet other families and celebrate your family’s successful day with dessert and coffee; drinks will be available for purchase.
- Coffee with the Deans—Meet Deans, advisors, and representatives from your student’s academic college.
- Creating a Healthy and Safe Tiger Community—Health and safety are very important to RIT. Join representatives from Public Safety, the Student Health Center, and Counseling and Psychological Services as they highlight campus resources, as well as how parents can partner with RIT and their students to create a healthy and safe community.
- Convocation—Convocation for New Students and Families is the official opening opening of the academic year. Join us for this ceremony as we formally welcome students to the academic community.