Issue #14– October 16, 2009
Residence Life Apartment Area Gets Connected to Technology
by: Jeff Spain, Residence Life Area DirectorWe’re at a tech school right? So why isn’t Residence Life acting like it? Well, we’re starting to now!!! Here’s some of the initiatives we’ve put into place and others we’re supporting through various college offices!
- Wireless is just about everywhere!- You’ve seen the messages and those UFO looking things in your apartments. Let ITS or Resent know if you’re having any issues with those! If you currently have your own wireless network setup, you may want to turn it off. You’ll get much better performance out of RIT’s system. In addition, it’s actually a policy violation to have those active in your apartments with the exception of Riverknoll and the RIT Inn and Conference Center! Do your neighbors a favor and turn yours off.
- Apartment Area Virtual Bulletin Board – in order to embrace RIT’s sustainability initiatives and to provide a more centralized space to promote Residence Life and RIT campus events, we created the Apartment Area Virtual Bulletin Board this summer. Here you can find flyers for a variety of events , programs, and services – check it out! http://www.rit.edu/studentaffairs/reslife/publications/aptvbb/
- We’re on Twitter!- Tweeting, Retreating, Following, etc. are all words that our office is getting used to. If you’re a twitter fan, please make sure you’re following ritapts! We’ll keep tweeting any trending topics or upcoming programs.
- IDs and Scanners- Please start bringing your IDs to Residence Life sponsored programs. This is so we can have an idea of what programs are well attended and should be repeated, and swiping yours could mean opportunities for prizes and giveaways in the near future!
- facebook- A lot of our apartment communities have their own facebook group. Join yours today for more focused news and events about your area.
- AIM – If you would like to ask a question, give a program suggestion, get advice on working through a roommate or neighbor conflict – you can reach us 9am-5pm via Instant Messenger. Our screen name is RITAPTS.
- “Old Faithful” ways- We’re still checking e-mail (email@example.com) and answering our phone (585-475-4300) so contact us if you have any issues!
For more articles from this issue, click here