Issue #15– January 22, 2010
RIT Alert allows RIT to contact the community in the event of an emergency by sending messages via Instant Message, text message to cell phones, voice message (mobile or land-line) and email.
When an emergency occurs that requires RIT community attention or action, the EMNS will be activated and you will be notified by the methods noted above using the personal information you have provided. The EMNS will cycle through the each contact method twice or until you confirm receipt. Of course, if you have not provided contact information for Instant Message (IM), for example, the EMNS will not attempt to send you an IM. It is imperative that your contact information is accurate and up to date in order for you to receive emergency notifications.
- STUDENT Instructions for adding/updating contact info for emergency notifications
- STUDENT Instructions for adding/updating PARENT phone info for emergency notifications
- Campus closings
- Building Emergencies
- Potential life-threatening situations on campus
- Extreme Weather Conditions
- Activation of Emergency Response Teams
- If you have "opted-out" of the notification database
- If you are not a registered student (classes or co-op) or an active RIT employee at the time of notification
- If the information provided in Oracle or the myRIT portal is not accurate or up to date
- Issues with your mobile device service provider
- Spam filter may have blocked an e-mail from being delivered
- Your IM service tool privacy settings may need to be modified
You’ll know the message is from RIT Alert by the message sender:
- For a text message: 89361
- For a phone call: (818) 847-2511 (Natl Notification Network)
- For an e-mail: RITAlert@rit.edu
- For an IM: (update your privacy settings in your IM tool to receive messages from these senders - to see the entire list - go to: http://finweb.rit.edu/buscont/massnotification.html
Contact information used for the EMNS is taken directly from information provided by students, staff and faculty in existing systems. It is the responsibility of faculty, staff and students to make sure this information is accurate and up to date in order to receive notifications.
- Students - Student Information System (http://infocenter.rit.edu)
- Faculty/Staff - Oracle Self Service - Human Resources (http://myinfo.rit.edu)
Participating in the Emergency Mass Notification System (EMNS) is voluntary. If a student, faculty or staff member wishes not to participate, (s)he must positively indicate this in either the myRIT portal (students) or Oracle Human Resources Self-Service (faculty/staff). By opting out, the student, faculty or staff member's information will not be sent to the EMNS. Therefore, no emergency messages will be received by persons who opt out. If the opt-out is not used, any data in the system of record will be used for emergency notifications by the EMNS.
If you have questions or concerns about RIT Alert, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more articles from this issue, click here