The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) is committed to the recruitment and academic success of eligible students with strong academic potential and personal initiative. Equal access to education has long been an objective of the New York State Board of Regents and RIT. In 1969, New York State established the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) for disadvantaged students in the independent colleges and universities. Since 1970, RIT has partnered with New York State in providing financial and academic assistance to deserving NYS residents who have the ability to succeed at colleges such as RIT.
RIT's HEOP program provides comprehensive academic and personal support to maximize student success. More specifically, it provides a mandatory summer pre-freshmen preparatory program, broad-based tutoring, comprehensive counseling using a whole student philosophy and a case management approach.
The primary purpose of RIT's HEOP program is to provide access and equity to the disenfranchised population which it serves. Through its comprehensive services, HEOP fosters students’ individual growth by providing strong programmatic and institutional support to students who would otherwise be excluded from higher education. The HEOP staff is dedicated to excellence in service. In addition to providing comprehensive support, the HEOP program also recognizes students' achievements and persistence. HEOP has provided over 40 years of access, advocacy and academic support for these deserving New York State residents who have the ability to succeed at independent colleges such as RIT.
To be eligible, prospective freshmen students must:
- Be a New York State resident
- Have a high school degree or its equivalent
- Not have attended college previously
- Not be admissible under regular RIT admissions standards
- Attend and pass the summer pre-college preparatory program which focuses on building academic skills and preparing incoming students for college success in the RIT environment
To be eligible, prospective transfer students* must:
- Come from another college’s EOP/HEOP, SEEK, or College Discovery program
- Be accepted into an RIT undergraduate degree program
*Participation in HEOP for transfer students is based on available funding and space in the program. Please contact the HEOP office for further information.